Regency CI2600 too Hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcoombs

Dec 3, 2014
Plymouth MA
Hi, We just had the Regency CI2600 wood insert installed. There's cat temp probe that came with it. And we have been burning at around 1050-1100. This warms our house and is very comfortable. But the dealer, who is returning to fix a couple things, said we shouldn't burn any hotter than 600 degrees. Considering, the owners manual says not to engage the cat until it reaches between 500 and 700, this 600 degree thing seems a bit low to me. And it's cold in here! Any thoughts?? Regency hasn't returned any of my 3 emails, so I can't ask them directly.

That doesn't sound high at all for a cat probe. It's just starting to fire off at around 5-600F. Perhaps the dealer thought you meant stove body temps or there was a misunderstanding. 1100-1200F should be fine for cat probe temps. It would be good to know the limit, but I suspect that is up around 1600F. For more info on this fireplace you might want to join in the thread already in progress.
www.hearth.com/talk/threads/advice-review-need-regency-ci2600-fireplace-insert-risky-costly.132252/

Last edited:
That doesn't sound high at all for a cat probe. It's just starting to fire off at around 5-600F. Perhaps the dealer thought you meant stove body temps or there was a misunderstanding. 1100-1200F should be fine for cat probe temps. It would be good to know the limit, but I suspect that is up around 1600F. For more info on this fireplace you might want to join in the thread already in progress.
www.hearth.com/talk/threads/advice-review-need-regency-ci2600-fireplace-insert-risky-costly.132252/
Thank you, I will check that out.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
That doesn't sound high at all for a cat probe. It's just starting to fire off at around 5-600F. Perhaps the dealer thought you meant stove body temps or there was a misunderstanding. 1100-1200F should be fine for cat probe temps. /

I think this is right on the money. Surface temps shouldn't get that high, but around 1250 on the cat thermometer is when I start closing the damper for the night. I read a thread a while back that said 1200 was crazy hot and I panicked, but it was referring to surface temps, not cat temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.