Regency Greenfire GF40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sentoria

Dec 14, 2021
NJ
Hello good people,
I will start by saying I am completely new to the pellet stove life. I love this little stove and it does a great job heating our 1400 sq ft house but the past 2 weeks it’s been driving me crazy. The flame on it goes from almost nothing to maybe 3” above and the glass has been getting very dirty very fast. I cleaned it this morning, used the shop vac, cleaned the glass and this is what it looks like now, 15hrs later. Yes, it bothers me so much I am up at 2:30am searching for solutions. The heat is fine. I have been trying to play with the feed rate and combustion trim buttons, before I take the side panel off to adjust the damper. They are currently at 4 and 2 respectively. I am also annoyed by the fact that I have to take the panel off. What else can I do that I am not doing?
Here are pics of the flame as it goes up and down.
Thanks everyone 😊

7B8C6F03-5C1C-48B0-BB6F-3AA9D4EE8E1D.jpeg ECB596E8-CB7D-4B01-A7F9-BF1B4B87A9A5.jpeg D36A7244-8638-4738-B37E-140FA0A4972C.jpeg 0CBD971B-4CFD-45CF-B18B-F298428412B9.jpeg

Did the flame used to be different, too, then? Is this a lower, perhaps smokier, flame? Is it the same pellets you've used before? Have you cleaned the exhaust pipe?

Did the flame used to be different, too, then? Is this a lower, perhaps smokier, flame? Is it the same pellets you've used before? Have you cleaned the exhaust pipe?
The flame was about 6” over the burn pot. It started once I changed pellets to a different brand because I couldn’t find the other brand. I have no idea how to clean the exhaust pipe. I will google a video.

Have you changed pellet brands?
How many bags of pellets have you used this year?

You are just about due for a full cleaning
Different brands of pellets burn differently
The new brand you have is probably responsible
for the flame pattern and the dirtier glass
Not uncommon between brands
Find one that works for you.

Have you changed pellet brands?
How many bags of pellets have you used this year?
Yes, I just got another brand. The ones I originally used were sold out. I used about 30 bags in a little over a month.
You are just about due for a full cleaning
Different brands of pellets burn differently
The new brand you have is probably responsible
for the flame pattern and the dirtier glass
Not uncommon between brands
Find one that works for you.
Hopefully that’s all there is. I just got a call from my babysitter saying she went to raise the heat from level 2 to 3 and the thing shut down. I then called the installers and the earliest they can come over is the 29th. I am at a loss.

If your exhaust pipe has become partly clogged with ashes, that could cause what you're seeing. How to clean that out depends on how the pipe is set up. Some are easy to clean with a brush and flexible rod. Some are easy to clear out by setting a leaf blower on the outside end, set up to pull out the ashes and blow them into the yard, done of course with the stove off, and if there's a vacuum switch in it, the tube to that disconnected.

Reactions: Washed-Up