Regency Insert Low Humming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
Haven't posted here in awhile but always cruise through to see whats going on. The stove is an older Regency Insert ,it started making this low harmonic humming last burning season when the stove got up to temperature. doesn't do it all the time . This year I just fired it up and it's happening again.I can put my hand on the stove surround and do not feel any vibrations, before I start tearing things apart I'd thought I would get some suggestions. It's a fully lined stainless chimney. Thanks for any replies

Haven't posted here in awhile but always cruise through to see whats going on. The stove is an older Regency Insert ,it started making this low harmonic humming last burning season when the stove got up to temperature. doesn't do it all the time . This year I just fired it up and it's happening again.I can put my hand on the stove surround and do not feel any vibrations, before I start tearing things apart I'd thought I would get some suggestions. It's a fully lined stainless chimney. Thanks for any replies
Is it the blower or the stove itself

I'm wondering if this is air passage. Does the hum depend on what the air control is set to?

Does the door gasket still pass the dollar bill test? Narrow passages of gas often result in vibrations.

If you pull the blower there is a hole on the right side. That can cause a harmonic vibration. File the edges of the hole a little it will probably fix it if not put foil tape over it and poke a small hole in it

Passed dollar bill test. i'll pull the blower off and check that hole on the right side. It's warmed up in Ct. for the next week so I'll see what happens and get back to the group. I bought the stove new twenty years ago and it's just started this. i will try air control adjustments also. this stove has been bulletproof and I'm very pleased with it, many cords of wood have passed thru it. Many Thanks for the replies.

I'm wondering if this is air passage. Does the hum depend on what the air control is set to?
it seems that it does, when I start a fire, cold stove the fire grows and when it gets to around 200 degrees it starts to hum.I do have the door cracked open a bit to help it get going, close door it gets fainter but still there.as fire grows it intensifies.When stove gets up to temperature humming increases. i'll shut down the air and it lowers, i'll leave the room for a few minutes come back and it's stopped.When I put in a few more logs and fire gets going again so does the hum same cycle.If I open door hum dies down , close door intensifies. This is the second time i've used it since I posted last time.The dollar bill test on the door seemed to be good, put dollar bill in various spots and it took a good tug to pull out.I did replace it several years back.Tomorrow i'm pulling the surround off and firing it up as it seems it's amplifying the sound. I did pull the blower off to inspect the intakes and everything seems fine.