Regency wood fired hot tub?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Came across this:

I have a regency wood stove that is useless, warped a bit I think. Could I not somehow run the copper tubes in it, and heat the water?
Is it really that simple as the video? Don't need any pump to get the water to circulate?

1582245519688.png

...I couldn't resist...LOL

There is a snowmobile cabin in the area that has a wood heated hot tub. It actually uses 2 heaters, one outside with a coil inside circulated by a pump and the second submerged in the tub with a top entry hatch to add wood.

The problem is with adding a coil is you effectively turn it into a boiler, if the valves in and out of the stove coil were shut while full of water with the stove going you have just created a bomb. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, in fact if I had time I'd build such a hot tub, you just need to be aware of the risks.

But I like the submerged idea too, no pumps to play around with and less chance of making a steam bomb.