Reliance Pellet Stove problems - Model #2220

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlaj72

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Ohio
Problem #1: The kill switch does not shut off the stove........to shut the stove off we have to unplug the power cord.

Problem #2: The auger does not operate and pellets do not enter the stove after the green start button is depressed. When the green button is held down...pellets do go into the burner...but only when the button is held down.

The main set of switches has been tested and is operating properly...so the problem appears to be elsewhere.....Any suggestions as to how to proceed will be appreciated. The rest of the stove is in excellent condition.

Doug and Charla said:
Problem #1: The kill switch does not shut off the stove........to shut the stove off we have to unplug the power cord.

Problem #2: The auger does not operate and pellets do not enter the stove after the green start button is depressed. When the green button is held down...pellets do go into the burner...but only when the button is held down.

The main set of switches has been tested and is operating properly...so the problem appears to be elsewhere.....Any suggestions as to how to proceed will be appreciated. The rest of the stove is in excellent condition.

Have you got the manual for your stove?

Is this a manual or electrical ignition stove?

It could be several things, if the stove is manual light, then hitting the start button and not getting pellets to feed indicates that the proof of fire switch hasn't reached temperature which usually means it is faulty or the area behind it is covered in ash. You can bypass that switch and see if the auger feeds.

Usually a stove turns off when that same switch opens when the temperature falls below a certain point.

However both situations can be caused by a faulty control panel.

There are other things to check, however I would start there first.

Not sure where the proof of fire switch is...but I haven't been able to get inside the heat exchanger tube openings and I'm wondering if that's the problem. I do have a manual and did not see anything about that switch. I've tried to get a bottle brush back into those tubes, but there not flexible enough for the job.

I would go through each connection on the mainboard in the back of the stove. I had some of those same problems and found one of the connections on the main board isn't pushed in all the way or has come loose. Had the stove been operating properly or did you recently acquire the stove and you are trying to get it running for the first time?

I just found an exploded parts diagram for that stove, it has a thermocouple for a proof of fire system, so there will be no jumpering that out of the way.

I'd clean out the entire exhaust system from the vent all the way back to and through the heat exchanger. You will likely need gaskets for the combustion blower. This should be removed and cleaned along with the cavity it blower sits in. Do not remove this blower unless you have a gasket to replace the one that was there. The gaskets do not always come off in one piece and are very easy to tear. A sharp single edged razor blade may help in getting the blower and gasket removed so that the gasket can be reused (but do not count on this happening).

There appears to be a clean out port in the lower right hand back of the firebox this is part #83 in the exploded parts diagram, there may or may not be one on the opposite side, parts diagrams aren't always exact.

Is the stove manual or auto ignition?

I don't have access to the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.