Reloading a BK Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Judge80

Aug 23, 2022
Midwest
Is it best to load a stove N/S or E/W? Also, is it best to rake coals to one side or to the front so a burn will gradually progress, or evenly spread out coals to catch the bottom wood all over after a reload?

Running a 2022 Princess with about 25 feet of pipe if it matters.

I run a Princess as well...when time to reload I rake coals to one side and get out as much ash as I can and then level the coals back out and load her up N/S for longest burns times...

Depends on the stove, to be honest.

Please add your stove to your signature line, to help us out with info, please.

90% of the time I load N/S. If I have a big coal bed I’ll pull it forward and then throw an E/W in the back to even things out.

It’s fun to switch things up a bit too.

Reactions: Dix
I find my princess works best with a solid layer of ash built up on the fire brick, I like to rake my coals forward, while puching excess ash to the rear, then load N/S in a tight stack.

Since large pieces move to the top naturally. Shoving everything to the back, then drawing it all forward will leave the ash and pull the coals forward.