Removing carpet and finishing floor---remove stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mruis

Oct 13, 2009
Long Island
We have our Pacific Energy Stove on a prefab hearth that lies on top of carpeting. Time for the carpet to go! We are refinishing the wood floors that lie beneath the carpet. Honestly, we rather not take out the wood stove to do this. Is it necessary to remove the stove and refinish the floor underneath or can we just leave it in place and perhaps install some kind of border around the bottom of the hearth so we don't see the old carpet. The professional installer is asking $!25 to remove the stove and then another $295 to put it back in place and reconnect the pipe chimney. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

It all depends if you have the right r-value for under the stove, then there should be no reason you would have to take out the old carpeting if you don't want to. However, it would probably still be best to take it out now but is understandable because of the price they are asking.

fwiw, I have seen several leave the carpeting in place.

As Savage said, as long as the R value is being met currently, it shouldn't matter if carpeting is underneath or not.

That said, while I understand the reluctance to pull the stove due to the cost I might suggest pulling it anyways . . . perhaps getting some other strong backs to help you move it and then move it back to save some coins . . . down the road if you sell the house or opt to get rid of the stove it might look a bit odd to have wood floors with an unfinished rectangle or square off to the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.