Removing secondary burn tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Can the secondary burn tubes in most stoves be removed without excessive violence to the stove? I wanted to remove mine so I could clean the chimney from the bottom, but it seems that they are held in by shallow metal boxes on both sides of the outside of the firebox, and those metal boxes are riveted to the firebox. I can't see any way to get them out short of drilling out the rivets, which I have no intention of doing. I guess I thought they were replaceable parts.

Yes, they should be removable as it is a warranty item in stoves. Look closely for a screw in one end or the other. If no screw is present it is often typical to clamp a vice grip plyer to the tube and tap it further into one of the boxes (air box) until the other end falls free, then wiggle the tube out the other way until the other end falls free and you are done. The air collector box (the tube goes into it) should not require removal.

Jack

Thanks. I'm pretty sure there aren't any screws, but I'll try the vice-grip idea. The tubes have a fair bit of side-side play.

Status
Not open for further replies.