removing warped F3CB burn plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
Problem solved, see below
Trying to get the burn plates off this used Jotul F3, but I guess it must have been overfired a few times because none of them will budge. All three plates look like they bulged out, and the back plate is cracked pretty good. I have a replacement for the secondary assembly, but it won't sit anywhere near right for me to even bolt it in and make do. At this point, I'd like to replace all 3 burn plates along with the secondary baffle (kinda kills the point of a burn plate if it's making contact with the outer cast), but what's the best way to get those warped plates out? I have an angle grinder that I've never used, but it looks like tight quarters to get a full cut anywhere. Hammer & masonry chisel? Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Problem solved! Took off the top and the air deflector, and with a few screwdrivers for leverage and a little angle grinding on one side to remove a lip, all plates popped free. I was mostly afraid of damaging the outer cast in the process, but I noticed I could pry the side plates against the back plate at the top, and that's what worked. Pics are of the damaged back plate - the cracks along the top-center effectively made the plate spread a bit, which pinched the side plates in. The "bulging" I mentioned in the original post was actually just the shape of the cast. Side plates are in decent shape, though I suspect the bolt anchor flanges are out of whack from when the secondary baffle warped. Replacing all plates & the secondary, so it'll be like a new stove. Ordering chimney liner this week...

image.jpg image.jpg

Good job. Be careful after putting it all back together to get the top on correctly and flat. It is easy to have the little allen screws go under the top edge and lift is askew instead of aligning with the screw holes and securing the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.