Repeal EPA regs on gas can nozzles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TreePointer

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2010
PA
There have been many complaints in this forum and others about CARB compliant gas can nozzles. I just wanted to give a heads up on a White House petition to repeal the regs that mandate these pain-in -the-arse (IMO) nozzles. It may go nowhere, but just getting this issue on the radar may help.

I'm not intending for this to be a political discussion. It is a gear issue that we've been discussing for a long time. For those who are so inclined, check it out:

Repeal of the EPA regulations mandating unwanted portable gas container nozzles

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ating-unwanted-portable-gas-container-nozzles

EDIT: It's not my petition, BTW.

Last edited:
I have compliant cans i love and wouldnt trade for anything. They have a push button and a large nozzle. They work fast and easy.

Reactions: rowerwet
I have compliant cans i love and wouldnt trade for anything. They have a push button and a large nozzle. They work fast and easy.
Thats what i use and love them!

Reactions: bholler
Another vote for “No Spill Jill”. I have three old-school cans, and three No Spill cans, and I like them equally.

I threw away all of my cheaper complaint cans (eg. Blitz brand).

Another vote for “No Spill Jill”. I have three old-school cans, and three No Spill cans, and I like them equally.

I threw away all of my cheaper complaint cans (eg. Blitz brand).

I use the 2.5 gallon for chainsaw mix unless I am running the 660 for few days....lol and a couple 5 gallon models for the splitter,ATV..ect.

Reactions: bholler
I know with the cheaper EPA gas cans I usually end up spilling almost as much gas on the ground than I do in the fuel tank.

Eagle or Just Rite Safety Cans. Cheap? No but worth it to me. I use the red for straight gas, green for 2 stroke mix and yellow for diesel.

One thing to be aware with Eagle cans is they are designed to vent if pressurized. If I fill them in cold weather and then let them warm up they will release pressure and some fumes. Much as I like them I will not let them in a closed vehicle like an SUV due to this venting. I have also had them leak when they got inadvertently tossed around.

I have also thrown away several plastic fuel cans that have a vent cap because the vent cap splits. I thought it was I was over tightening it but its probably a combination of cheap manufacture and the tank pressurizing from cold to warm numerous times.

UV

Not just for powersports. They come in different sizes and work well.

I like simple.
12-vpracefuel-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the VP and their kind is that the long neck on them becomes brittle and breaks with time...not very flexible at all in winter time..

The problem with the VP and their kind is that the long neck on them becomes brittle and breaks with time...not very flexible at all in winter time..
Looks like a hunk of off the shelf braided vinyl.

Reactions: Ashful
I use VP fuel cans. https://www.xtremediesel.com/vp-racing-fuels-motorsport-container-square?variant_id=107904& Note they are not officially fuel cans as they aren't emissions compliant but are a lot thicker than any other plastic fuel can and has a variety of fuel spout options. Since they are used for racing they can empty a lot of fuel quickly.
I’m interested. But it seems they fail to list the one spec that would have someone buying one of these: gallons per minute. How many seconds does it take to empty a 5 gallon can? If not much faster than a No Spill, then what’s the point?

No Spill does 3 gal per minute, which is slower than I like, but faster than any other can I’ve tried.

I have never had any issues in winter and it gets down to -30F. Flow rate is function of nozzle type. I have the hose but expect the Nascar nozzles drain faster. I mostly like the durability, its thick HDPE a lot thicker than any other tank I have found. The quality of the fittings is better and I can buy replacements if I need them.

Looks like a hunk of off the shelf braided vinyl.
So far I have replaced 0 no spills spouts.....lost track on the VP jugs....I think the right sized black automotive type hose would last much longer...none of the clear hose...reinforced or otherwise has lasted as long as I would like..they harden with time and crack..I have several of the VP and clones around here....just got tired of replacing the spout every time I turn around...and they are not suited for small engine refills.

I got a half dozen 20 litre NATO cans stashed in my shed, they have the "Not in the US" flexible metal nozzles, great for filling up mowers or log splitter or occasionally the truck when I run out somewhere. Downside is there are so many chinese knockoffs for sale everywhere, have to be careful what you buy. I use the 2 gallon walmart "takes forever to pour gas" cans for weedeaters and chainsaws

So far I have replaced 0 no spills spouts.....lost track on the VP jugs....I think the right sized black automotive type hose would last much longer...none of the clear hose...reinforced or otherwise has lasted as long as I would like..they harden with time and crack..I have several of the VP and clones around here....just got tired of replacing the spout every time I turn around...and they are not suited for small engine refills.

5 years and counting on my VP hose. No evidence of deterioration. Guess I am lucky. I use mine for Diesel and Non ethanol gas, I wonder if maybe the ethanol is eating the hose? Not the first time ethanol gas is indicted for eating fuel hoses.

I also have the Nato Jerry cans for my Unimog as it has racks for two of them. I do find that the gaskets do eventually dry out. Replacements are available.

5 years and counting on my VP hose. No evidence of deterioration. Guess I am lucky. I use mine for Diesel and Non ethanol gas, I wonder if maybe the ethanol is eating the hose? Not the first time ethanol gas is indicted for eating fuel hoses.

I also have the Nato Jerry cans for my Unimog as it has racks for two of them. I do find that the gaskets do eventually dry out. Replacements are available.
You may be on to something with the ethanol...I have had to replace fuel lines on chainsaws because of it.

I used to check estate sales for the older style pre EPA gas cans. I'd pick them up for a dollar or 2 each. I have enough to last me the rest of my life. I have some old Jerry cans that do boat service every summer.

We use to have tons of these when I was growing up. Wish I still had some.

16008697_1.jpg

Reactions: JimBear