Repeated startup/shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeere5220

Mar 13, 2009
Michigan
quick question-

With the up and down temps in MI right now, I recently found that I can shut down my outdoor corn boiler for 2-3 days, then fire it back up, then shutdown, etc.. and save about 50% in corn over holding steady temp when no heat is needed. It takes about 25 minutes to get back to temp after a restart, so not too long.

My question: Is this a good way to rust out the firebox? I don't see anything about this in the manual, but I know I've seen authors here warn about running a boiler at low temp. Is frequent startup/shutdown basically the same as running at low temp in terms of rust risk?

Thanks!

I have found that when I run the Econoburn at lower temps, say 150 or 160, I seem to get a little more condensate in the upper chamber. For this reason, I keep the boiler about 190 most of the time. Also, any time you fire the boiler cold, you will get a pretty good shot of condensate forming until the water gets up to temp. I don't think this is an issue as long as you take the boiler up to temp, however, because as the water gets hotter, the condensate will begin to dissapear for the most part. If you repeatedly fired the boiler from say 80* to 120* and then shut it down, the condensate would not get a chance to dissipate, and it could cause corrosion issues.

At any rate, I think as long as you bring the boiler all the way up to temp each time you fire it, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. This is how those who own gassers with storage run their boilers every day.

cheers

Thanks Piker.

Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.