Replace stove = line chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PeteN

Nov 12, 2022
Wisconsin
I've been burning wood in a basement install of a Hearthstone Heritage for nearly 30 years. The soapstone is getting a little tired inside with some erosion of the soapstone in certain areas. I burn steady from October thru April so I can't imagine how much wood has gone through this stove in that time. Looked into replacing it with another Hearthstone but they have transitioned to cat technology which I am not interested in dealing with. I've settled on a Lopi Liberty or Enerzone Solution 3.5. However, the dealer does not recommend me still using my masonry chimney with 8X8 inch clay flue without relining with a 6" liner due to lack of draft issues. Never had any issues with draft on the Hearthstone unless it was warmer and damp outside but that was just during startup. I think I am beginning to understand their reasoning but I still have questions why the newer stoves have an issue with draft that my old stove doesn't. Most, if not all, have a bypass door to directly vent into the outlet pipe of the stove so it should be similar or better than what I have now (all that is in my stove is a cast iron baffle) in regards to draft in getting the fire started. The dealer inferred that the newer stoves have lower flue temps resulting in less draft than with my older, less efficient stove. He was telling me the flue temps on the exit of the chimney may be up to 700 deg F. with an older stove which I find hard to believe but I haven't measured it. Is the real problem maintaining draft with these more efficient, lower flue temp stoves throughout the burn? No matter which vintage of stove I have to assume that flue temps drop off over the burn cycle. I've never had any issues with smoke coming out of the stove unless I had the key damper closed too much. I cut my own firewood and season it for a minimum of 1-2 years in a covered woodshed and most is dead when I cut it down so I won't be burning any wet stuff. I originally thought this was going to be a plug and play install but the dealer has put enough doubt in my mind that I'm starting to look at older used stoves that may work better for my situation

Pete

Hey Pete, welcome to Hearth. Sounds like your Heritage owes you zero:cool:. Lots to research in replacement stove makes/models. If you add a few details about your home size, layout etc. it will help folks give you some ideas. First question is whether your basement is finished including insulated walls? Enjoy the researching!

Hey Pete, welcome to Hearth. Sounds like your Heritage owes you zero:cool:. Lots to research in replacement stove makes/models. If you add a few details about your home size, layout etc. it will help folks give you some ideas. First question is whether your basement is finished including insulated walls? Enjoy the researching!
Thanks for the welcome. Basement is unfinished with no exposed walls and no insulation and is 1600 sq ft in size as well as the upstairs. Use the furnace fan to recirculate air and seems to keep both levels at acceptable temps.

One big issue is clearance to combustibles. You need one to two inches of clearance around your masonry chimney, depending on whether its external or internal to the house, and staff member and professional chimney sweep @bholler reports that very few chimneys he sees have that required clearance. An insulated liner reduces that need for clearance, but you might need to have the tile liner knocked out to put one down.