Replacement Firbrick for a Lennox ci2000ht ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macc

Hearth Supporter
Sep 16, 2006
I have a Lennox ci2000ht that needs some of the bricks replaced. I was told a new set would b $800 :bug: . Surely this can't be right (please tell me so). I can't find info as to the type of material the firebricks are. I figured I could find some cheaper replacements and cut them to fit with a masonry blade.

ANY info would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks!

What are the measurements of the bricks in the stove? Just one of the rectangular ones.

And are you talking about the ones that make up the baffle up top or the ones in the sides of the firebox?

Thanks for the reply.

They are the bricks around the sides. I'll get the actual measurements of one of the bricks but I believe they are about 4" x 8" and maybe an inch or so thick. I believe there are two or three different sizes. There are a total of 8 bricks.

the owners manual states that there ceramic bricks, for that, 800 bucks seems alittle strange. I would call around to another lennox dealer and check. a standard 4.5x9x1 is about three bucks.
here is a link to the manual
look on page 27 for part numbers.
http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/resources/manual/775080M%20F-CI1000HT-CI2000HT%20(II&CO).pdf

The bricks in the back are actually a little larger...I thought there were 3 but actually only 2 in the center that measure 8x14x1 inches.

Are there different densities of ceramic? Or, will any 1" thick ceramic firebrick work if I cut to size?

I have called another dealer and he stated he would check with Lennox on Monday and get back to me.

Thanks!

The baffle bricks are ceramic "fiber" which I would bet are going to be a dealer item. The ones in the firebox are not as thick as normally available replacement firebricks and some of them are wider too. Hard to cut a standard brick to make it wider.

I think you should look at repairing the ones you have with refractory cement available at the hardware store if they are just cracked and not crumbling.

Thanks for this post. I was real interested in that stove when I saw it at a dealer's the other day. The darn things are beautiful and built like a tank. I just got right over that looking at that baffle and brick setup in the manual a few minutes ago.

Well, one thing for shure, if i had to use there bricks, and i had to pay $800 bucks for them, i think i would put the stove out by the curb and buying something else.
I dont see why you cant buy regular ceramic firebrick and cut them down, i personally havent seen any differences between ceramic bricks. wait untill monday, let us know what you find out.

The problem is that is about $2,500 worth of stove. And those bricks are bigger than anything I know of that you can buy aftermarket. And about a quarter inch thinner too.

OUCH. now there is something the sales guy wont tell you.
I would be buying castable refractory cement and making my own darn forms i tell ya.

MountainStoveGuy said:
OUCH. now there is something the sales guy wont tell you.
I would be buying castable refractory cement and making my own darn forms i tell ya.

You got it bro.

Well...I eagerly await the other guy's info. I can adjust for the extra width without any problem in the stove. Can't I just cement the smaller bricks together after cutting to fit once they are together?

My only real concern was that if I didn't use the right bricks it would affect my clearances. But if the bricks are thicker, my clearance to combustables shouldn't be increased any.?.

It will cost ya a little under twenty bucks to go to ACE Hardware and buy a box of Rutland bricks and play around with them a little.

The bricks are in there to protect the cast iron around the firebox and hold the temp up in the stove for the good combustion.

What ya gotta worry about is that twenty year warranty on the stove. Put non-Lennox parts in it and you have given them an easy way out of a warranty claim. Of course I don't know how old the stove is and as I have said here before stove warranties give them every way under the sun not to cover it anyway.

I dont know about the different thicknesses, it would be easy to make a mold and cast them too. Just some 2x2s and some clamps and your business.

I am just concerned that if one of those monster side castings on his stove cracked that Lennox would point at the bricks and toss the twenty year warranty. But I can say that they use the term overfiring in their manual more times than any I have seen so I would bet that if the thing fell apart on the the showroom floor they would blame it on overfiring.

You really need to see one of those stoves "in the flesh" as it were in enamel finish. They are really good looking and there is a bunch of iron in them.

BrotherBart said:
It will cost ya a little under twenty bucks to go to ACE Hardware and buy a box of Rutland bricks and play around with them a little.

The bricks are in there to protect the cast iron around the firebox and hold the temp up in the stove for the good combustion.

What ya gotta worry about is that twenty year warranty on the stove. Put non-Lennox parts in it and you have given them an easy way out of a warranty claim. Of course I don't know how old the stove is and as I have said here before stove warranties give them every way under the sun not to cover it anyway.
ist that the truth, firebricks arent considered warrented for very long, and if you hade a claim, the dealer has to be willing to back it. the default answer to wood stove warrenty is , you over fired it. I dont think it would be to risky messin around with firebricks of the same type. But i say agian, i would not be to HAPPY when they told me HAD to purchase there $800 bricks.

BrotherBart said:

This is exactly why we did not go with a Lennox heatpump. All proprietary parts at a hefty markup. It may be a great system, but we'll pass.

Calm down. There is no way the firebrick set costs $800. Someone made a typo. These are custom size bricks so maybe a set is $80. But the manual gives a very detailed diagram and you can go to your local fireplace masonry shop and have them reproduced. I'm not going to say anything on warranty.

Sean

P.S. Maybe they have to pay high import prices from Belgium?

Finally heard back from the other dealer. What a deal...only $440 without freight. Guess I'll try making my own.

Macc said:
Finally heard back from the other dealer. What a deal...only $440 without freight. Guess I'll try making my own.

Good grief! I imagine you will make your own.

Ping Craig:

Is Lennox that over the top on all of their replacement parts?

Macc said:
$440.OO :bug: lined with "GOLD" bricks ! Unreal.

They were charging around 20 dollars for the little metal clips that hold the gold window trim in the ADVII-T's. Some parts seem a little high. They were also charging 4-5 dollars for these little plastic dart clips that held the trim on a BV400C. The fellow said he found the same thing at an autoparts store for a few cents apiece.

BrotherBart said:
Macc said:

Good grief! I imagine you will make your own.

Ping Craig:

Is Lennox that over the top on all of their replacement parts?

Once you make your own and see that they work...I see a side business there for you. 24 lbs of castable refractory for 34 bucks....Lets see...440 - 34 = 406 per casting session. :)

Seems like you ought to shop around for bricks that are closer in size. Or perhaps you could adjust the size of the bottom bricks to adjust for the thickness diff of the side bricks.

I purchased some ceramic bricks that needed a slight size adjustment and they cut quite easily with one of those blades that look like compressed fiberglass intended for cutting stone. I just put the blade on my table saw, (USE DUST COLLECTION!) and it cut about like cutting MDF. (About as dusty too) I think you could even resaw a brick if you had to.

Even if you trash the blade doing it, you'd be ahead.

REFRACTORY

* 4 parts premixed concrete (includes the cement and is very lean) Substutute pre mix refactory cement from Rutland
* 4 parts fire clay (available at masonary suppliers)
* 1 part vermiculite (available garden suppliers)

Mix dry first then mix with as little water as possible making a "stiff" almost dry mix. Compact into place. Be sure to let dry (as long as possible, several days - week) and bring up the heat slowly on first use.

The vermiculite is a good insulator, withstands high temperatures, adds porosity, and doesn't absorb a lot of water so the mix shrinks less than it would otherwise.

Thanks again for all the info. Have all my materials now and plan to make then in the next day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.