Replacing a prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mdurg

Oct 6, 2018
upstate ny
Hi,

I was trying to fix some exterior covering to my fireplace and upon opening found that there was a lot of rust and corrosion. I am assuming I am going to have to replace it completely. I'm not getting a lot lot of help locally I've talked to 2 fireplace dealers and they barely give me the time of day so I'm looking to do some research on my own to start. The fireplace is a Majestic ESF-II

Based on the attached photos, is it safe to say I can just disconnect the stovepipe and whatever else I can find and just push/pull the unit off the exterior of the house? It appears to me since it's all external I can do that.

Once it is all gone including the stovepipe, fake chimney, etc. Would I be able to find a replacement to drop in? (I would hire a company to do this all) What I really want to know is can the brick work on the interior remaining largely intact. I'm making a huge assumption if the main opening is compatible with a stock fireplace it could be installed. Maybe with a little modification for example the side vents being closed up. Could a brick mason do that?

Thanks,
Mark

IMG_4292.jpg IMG_4294.jpg IMG_4296.jpg IMG_4300.jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 4.45.33 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the interior can remain intact as long as you can find a unit with about the same sized opening.

Reactions: mdurg
Holy cow! You’ve needed a new chase top since the house was built! Sorry to see this.

We have done several replacements like this with high efficiency fireplaces. This is a perfect one to upgrade to a high efficiency wood burning fireplace, or a direct vent gas fireplace. You should have several suitable options that would make demo on the inside minimal. Often times very little needs done inside with the back open like this.

Thanks for your replies! How would i get moving forward with this? Take the doors off and measure the opening in the bricks? It doesnt seem that side vents are used nowadays. Can they be covered?

As far as removing the existing fireplace, have any recommendation for DIY? I am thinking strapping the vertical pipe to the studs so it doesnt fall down. Then cut away the top of the fireplace. Find any attachment points and cut them then simply pull it off the platform. Is the fireplace attached to the brick in some way?

Thanks,
Mark

My guess is that will need to be taken apart from the top down. Likely (mine was a different brand that looked awfully similar) all the weight of the pipe is borne by the firebox. Heatilator. Mine was a heatilator. Good luck.

Reactions: mdurg
Thanks for your replies! How would i get moving forward with this? Take the doors off and measure the opening in the bricks? It doesnt seem that side vents are used nowadays. Can they be covered?

As far as removing the existing fireplace, have any recommendation for DIY? I am thinking strapping the vertical pipe to the studs so it doesnt fall down. Then cut away the top of the fireplace. Find any attachment points and cut them then simply pull it off the platform. Is the fireplace attached to the brick in some way?

Thanks,
Mark
With some pry bars this is possible. The chimney is sitting on the fireplace. Support it, or take it down from the top down.

With some pry bars this is possible. The chimney is sitting on the fireplace. Support it, or take it down from the top down.
Time out - first figure out the type of chimney you have (air cooled) or class A, and obviously the condition the chimney is in, new epa HE fire places burn hotter and need class A pipe, if switching to gas then the air cooled chimney will be fine.

Time out - first figure out the type of chimney you have (air cooled) or class A, and obviously the condition the chimney is in, new epa HE fire places burn hotter and need class A pipe, if switching to gas then the air cooled chimney will be fine.
No, that pipe needs to come out with that fireplace. None of it is in working condition.

Reactions: bholler

I would be removing all of it. Looks kind of like stovepipe. I kind of just want to get the fireplace out so i can get measurements and photos to fireplace dealers for quotes and replacement.

Is the unit itself really heavy?

I would be removing all of it. Looks kind of like stovepipe. I kind of just want to get the fireplace out so i can get measurements and photos to fireplace dealers for quotes and replacement.

Lol - I miss read ur post, thought u we’re trying to salvage it the way you talked about pry bars.

Lol - I miss read ur post, thought u we’re trying to salvage it the way you talked about pry bars.
No just trying to get it out without destroying the brick inside

I dont know that one in particular but they typically are pretty light.

Take the brick out of it first. Typically they aren’t too bad. Some of these old units can be fairly heavy though, just be cautious.