Replacing bar... cheapest online supplier? Brands to stay away from?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
My bar has had slop in it since I got the saw and I'm finally going to get a new one. What's the cheapest online supplier? Baileys? While on the topic, are there any brands to steer clear of?

Thanks

I tend to get bars from Amazon and chains from Baileys or chainsawsdirect. Amazon is often cheaper but the selection is not as good. It's not a hard and fast rule; I always comparison shop a few places. I tend to pick some candidates based on specs, read the reviews on a few different sites, pick one, then look for the site with the lowest price.

I don't even look at brands unless the thing I'm considering has a low number of reviews, and even then I don't give it too much weight.

I've found that saying that a certain brand is "good" or "bad" is pretty much the same as saying "I'm tired of judging things on their merits; gonna pick at random." I guess I'll make an exception for Harbor Freight here ("bad"), but I try not to have too many of those. ;)

My bar has had slop in it since I got the saw and I'm finally going to get a new one. What's the cheapest online supplier? Baileys? While on the topic, are there any brands to steer clear of?

I avoid the heavy bars because, with the weight away from the handles it reduces maneuverability, increases fatigue and the chance of making a mistake. What I've noticed is the Stihl Rollomatics tend to weigh less than or about the same as the Oregon Pro-lite bars and I've always had excellent service life out of them so I haven't experimented around with other brands for about 20 years.

Which saw is it for? It's not normal for a bar to have "slop" unless it's been well used (or abused).

For a Jonsered 630. I got the saw for free about 5 years ago... it's got a sandvik bar on it that had some fair ridges before I filed them down. Wouldn't say it's been particularly abused but I've used it quite a bit and not sure how much it got used before I got it

Have you tried taking the bar to a saw shop to see if it can be dressed? Some older/ heavier saws benefit from a heavier bar, meaning a new lite sugihara may not balance well on that saw. I have a couple of bailey's woodland pro bars and they are heavy but a durable laminated bar.