Replacing Martin Fireplace with Pellet Insert Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny22

Jan 13, 2014
Mid-Atlantic/NE
I am trying to get a quadra-fire AE insert installed where I currently have a Martin SC36M wood fireplace. I am trying to rip enough of the fireplace out to have the clearance for AE. At that point, I will have my install tech come in and install the stove with proper venting to code.

My question is...Is the chimney supported by the internal firebox? I need to cut out the internal box to have to proper clearance for the stove. I attached pictures of the internal box where the chimney comes in. The box I need to remove is just below the damper.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 134
I would say not, but I can't say for sure.

Is the chimney fastened to the firebox? Can you move the chimney up and down off of the top of the firebox? If you can move it, then maybe it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.