Replacing pipes for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is stove pipe or chimney it can be sleeved but you better do some research prior to doing it. All else fails call a professional.

Eric

If it is stove pipe or chimney it can be sleeved but you better do some research prior to doing it. All else fails call a professional.

Eric
No worries. We intend to have someone licensed do any work required. I'm not there to do the work, even if I thought it was within my range of abilities.

I'd be looking for a new contractor. Scare tactics don't impress me, nor does lack of cooperation.

I'd be looking for a new contractor. Scare tactics don't impress me, nor does lack of cooperation.

I'm certainly in the process of doing that. Meanwhile he already has money that he says he has spent on supplies, so I'd like to figure out just what those supplies are. Mind y'all, I hadn't talked to the guy when I started this thread. I thought he just hadn't understood that dad wanted a quote to go with the deposit--now he claims he never provides them to keep from getting cheated. Uhm. But since the money is gone, we still have a job that needs to be done, so I'm going to do my level-best to understand the costs involved, including said parts.

Maria,
I didn't read where you/the venting issue is located. I.E. what state/region, etc.

1. Educate yourself on what the real problem is.
2. If the contractor has a signed contract (by your parents) to purchase the materials and perform the work then they may be on the hook for payment provided the contractor performs the work as stated in the contract.
3. To help you out, here is an online site with pricing for pellet venting. http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=44
As you can see the costs vary quite a bit. But this should help you in figuring the associated costs.

Keep in mind professional labor costs. Hearth professionals have business costs that must be covered. $800 or so to remove/replace a vent system through the roof seems fairly cheap to me. But don't know what work is involved in this case.

Without more info we can only guess what the real problem is with the installed system.

Good Luck,
---Nailer----

Thanks Nailer. One of the problems is that dad was expecting a contract with things spelled out. He didn't get one after writing the check and so we asked for an itemized list of what was being done. The 700 was just for materials from what we "gathered" so we asked for a quote with things listed out to understand better. But we don't have any item list, just 700 "to get things ordered" --the labor was additional.

We are in NM--Silver City to be exact. We offered to go and get the parts because most things have to be ordered from either Las Cruces or El Paso (we have a truck) and that is what started the problem. I was pricing parts and since we are capable of picking up parts, we thought we could save on delivery. But that is when the contractor suddenly decided he didn't have to do a bill of sale, invoice or explain what parts were needed. We are fairly flummoxed as all we asked for was paperwork that broke down the costs and what work would be done. I've never had a contractor NOT provide a quote with some level of detail. We have nothing in hand--not a contact, not a intent, not a bid. Dad wrote the check expecting that was forthcoming but it has not been so I am trying to educate myself on the topic. There is no point is having do work and not even tell us what is being done or why.

I do think some work needs to be done--but at this point, I'm not sure what or why for certain. And so if the entire vent has to be replaced, I'd like to know a good ballpark of what some things should cost.

Looking at your descriptions of the contractor's actions I'd say it exhibits numerous characteristics of a scam artist. You paid $700 for materials only and labor cost is open-ended? Like a cost-plus govt. contract? Where will it end?

OTOH, why did your dad write the check without reviewing all the details?

Must be frustrating for you. Keep supplying more particulars so members get more of an idea of the current condition so they can offer better solutions. Example: Is the pellet stove (exhaust) vented thru the fireplace, up thru the chimney and out? Or does it run thru a hole in the side of chimney?

RE: Melted section: If it was in fact B venting for gas appliance, that could be made out of aluminum which does have a far lower melting temp. than PL vent required for pellet stove.

Thanks Chamas. Well yes, hindsight. The guy was writing things down and gave an overall quote mixed in with things as he "talked" through it. "I need this and that and we'll have to order." Then he said, "I'll need half the money to start ordering the parts you're going to need, so give me 711 today." Dad wrote the check EXPECTING to be left with a contract/invoice/bid work order. The guy walked away to his truck so apparently dad said something about needing a quote and the guy said, "yeah, it's going to be about 1400 dollars." Didn't actually leave anything. I think it's one of those things where it all happened fast and dad figured out too late that something wasn't right.

I talked to the contractor again today. He apologized for last night and said he'd do up a quote. I told him great, but don't order anything else until we approve the quote. He said, 'Too late. We've gone too far to back out now, but I'll give you a written quote." I said, "No, don't order anything more and if we decide to back out, we'll come pick up whatever you ordered and just be done with it." This led to the same argument as yesterday and a claim that he had ordered 700 dollars worth of parts (yesterday it was 309 he had already done, but suddenly it was all of it.) Needless to say it deteriorated from there. He continued with the "you need a licensed contractor to do this work to be up to regulations so there is no point in you trying to get by cheaper with a handyman."

Thing is, I called the state licensing office today. They have no record of a contractor license for him. I don't know if their records are conclusive, but there is nothing under the business name or his individual name.

He claims we need to cut a section somewhere (but is deliberately unclear. Sure, I don't know much about this, but I understand the words: "Cut a hole and tear out all the stuff that is in there..."

Bottom line is he is not willing to talk plain talk about what HAS to be done to be safe versus some pie in the sky Cut a new hole (either in the ceiling or roof) to "do the job right."

So yeah, frustrated. We're out 700 bucks and he claims he's already spent more time on this that he can afford. WHAT??? HE'S THE ONE WITH 700 dollars and we have zero to show for it--no parts and no labor. NOTHING.

We'll need to find someone who really knows what is going on to take a look at this. Dad is going to go in the attic and see if he can find any stamps on any of the piping that identifies whether it is gas vent or pellet stove (or what.) The contractor said twice now that it is gas vent pipe. We need to make sure that it is in fact gas vent pipe. There was some talk when he talked to Dad about needing to straighten some of the angles. So dad is going to look for these supposed angles. But angles in and of themselves aren't a problem because they sell elbows...

Anyway, it's a very unpleasant and costly situation. I'll have to try and find someone trustworthy to take a look at things and give us more information. Always difficult to do.

P.S. I'll have dad see what the piping does now, but I believe it goes straight out the existing chimney. It could create an angle if they cut a hole in the side for some reason.

Too late to stop payment on the check? This guy sounds really shady.

I don't like to say this ,but you may need to bring in a lawyer . Show me $700 worth of materials with receipts or show me $700 cash turn the Heat up on him .

I did ask him for the receipt for the ordered goods. Guess what? Not willing to provide it. So I said I guess he didn't order it.

But meanwhile, I want to see if we can get a pro to actually see if and what work needs to be done to safely use the stove.

So we're working on it from a few angles. And we're going to try and figure out if there is any burned or melted area. We didn't get to see pictures of that either although they were promised.

I did ask him for the receipt for the ordered goods. Guess what? Not willing to provide it. So I said I guess he didn't order it.

But meanwhile, I want to see if we can get a pro to actually see if and what work needs to be done to safely use the stove.

So we're working on it from a few angles. And we're going to try and figure out if there is any burned or melted area. We didn't get to see pictures of that either although they were promised.

Get that 2nd opinion or 3rd get what if anything needs to be corrected so you and your parents can sleep at night. Then deal with this joker up the road.

That's what I'm trying to do. We'll stop in there in 10 to 15 days and ask for the parts (by which time anything should have been delivered.) I'm sure there will be some other excuse. I don't expect him to show up with the promised quote or pictures.

Meanwhile trying to see if we can figure out any markings that will indicate what parts are in there and also as someone asked, whether it vents straight out the chimney or out the side. The contractor said we needed a "out the wall kit" that he said was 309, but yanno, I can't see how that is even possible. The stove is surrounded by rooms or a garage. The only way out IS the chimney and why would you put anything like that in? And where?

An OAK (Outside Air Kit) can be installed up a chimney, since you're not on an outside wall. Just maybe that's what he was talking about. Maybe.

Good to know-- (although he called it a out the wall kit twice and I believe there actually is such a thing and it is not an OAK.) There will be more inspections tomorrow--try to eyeball things and match up (or not) things we were told versus what our own eyeballs find.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.