Replacing the wiring - hire an electrician?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mury

Jun 20, 2008
NH
Hi. I have a 14 year old Lopi Leyden and I recently ordered some parts for it, the control board (because ours has a crack) and the wiring harness because the online store said that if the wiring was replaced the control board had to be too so I thought let's just do both and have it done. Anyway, I'm not comfortable doing the work myself. Has anyone hired an electrician to do this particular job? It seems more particular that switching out a fan or ignitor or such. There are SOOO many wires. Thanks
Marie

th-1295673452.jpg

Reactions: ARC
If it were me and obviously it's not, I'd sit down and swap over one wire after another from one harness to the other. That ought to be way less intimidating that pulling the whole old harness and then wondering where all the wires ought to plug into the new one. If this still seems out of your comfort zone then so be it. Let us know how it works out.

Good luck,

Hugh

Reactions: ARC and tbear853
Its not really an electricians job to do low voltage stuff like that. Electricians normally work on the AC voltage covered by the National Electrical code. For low voltage stuff like that somebody who assembles computers is probably better suited but realistically its something a patient person can do themselves. Take lots of pictures before hand from multiple angles,

Thanks for the replies!

You need an HVAC technician if not going to DIY. Controls are similar to a gas furnace. Have the manual and wiring diagram handy and call an AC service company.

If you do not want to do it yourself
Call a pellet stove service tech. or your local
heating service people ask them to send an HVAC tech.
If it were me I would switch out one wire at a time
It is all a plugin harness

One wire at a time and you should be fine.

Attachments

• Lopi Leyden Wire Diagram.pdf
    267.5 KB · Views: 123
Thanks for the idea of an HVAC person! I'm not against doing it myself except that I had an incident while waiting for the part to come in. I was cleaning out in the back and (stupidly) had not unplugged the stove. There was a spark. Since then the stove isn't receiving power at all. The round piece near where the power cord attaches sparked.

IMG_5289.jpeg IMG_5290.jpeg

One wire at a time and you should be fine.
Thank you for the diagram. The parts just arrived and fortunately that was included. I had been searching the web to no avail.

Inside that round piece you will find a fuse that is probably bad since the spark. This has stopped the flow of electricity to the rest of the stove.
Thank you! Will get a new fuse

Not that painful ;) . You learned the first lesson, if in doubt unplug it !. Sad to say I have seen more than few industrial accidents where folks were too lazy to unplug things or flip a switch and lock it out before working on them.

You got this, @Mury. Handsome stove!