Residential solar installation drops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hasufel

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2015
Northern Virginia
In our area there are not enough tax benefits to make it financially beneficial. The cost for the system with enough panels amd batteries to run a house is close to $30k in our area plus a whole house generator to run in the winter.

The only reason to have solar in our area is avery strong urge to be off the grid or not having access to electric.

Until the cost comes down drastically I don't see our area using much more solar then is already out there.

I am personally glad things slowed down, there was lot of high pressure sale tactics especially with creatively financed systems. All sorts of folks were popping up on solar forums who signed deals and were desperate to get out of them particularly when they were trying to sell their homes. The Koch brothers have been somewhat successful in cutting back solar incentives in several states.

The delayed introduction of the Tesla solar roof and the hype that went along with it ("lower cost than replacing a roof") may have caused some folks to delay thinking they were going to get a better deal if they waited.

The only reason to have solar in our area is avery strong urge to be off the grid or not having access to electric.

Most people use solar to reduce electric costs, using the grid as a large battery. Do you not have net metering in your state?

It almost never makes sense to go off grid if grid is available

Most people use solar to reduce electric costs, using the grid as a large battery. Do you not have net metering in your state?

It almost never makes sense to go off grid if grid is available

We have net metering. We pay approximately 10.9 cents per KW. We can't go below zero and we can't roll over to the next month any overage from solar. And if I remember correctly they only give you about 4 cents per KW credit towards tour bill. So you have to put in over twice what you use in order to have a zero bill.

I have solar on my travel trailer and it only works effectively from about April to October depending on the year.

Ah... makes it hard to use effectively. In my state you can accumulate forever, making it possible to generate in the summer and use up in the winter, like a large seasonal battery