Return air backflow damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
I recently purchased a Tundra for my home and currently haven't started the install because of the weather. I understand the purpose of a backflow damper to protect my A-coil in my gas furnace and will install this damper once I get started with my install. My question is when I hook into my gas furnace supply ducts and return ducts, do I need a backflow damper between my return ducts and the Tundra? I haven't read any info about this and I am curious. Don't want air conditioned air pulling through my Tundra during the summer time..

Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks Dave

I plan on installing 2-8"manual dampers in the hot air ducts from my Tundra to my propane forced air furnace plenum. Open during heating season, closed for a/c season to prevent conditioned air into the tundra and out the return air inlet. Don't think I want anything spring loaded because I want those to be open in the event of a power failure to hopefully prevent overheating if the tundra is fired up (allow convective flow).

Status
Not open for further replies.