Riddle me this....??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
Hello all,
I am newer to burning wood. We purchased a home last year that has a Zero Clearance Majestic money pit! The thing burns hot, wastes most heat up, and draws all my warm furnace air and my cool AC air. So we are looking to upgrade to a ZC EPA fireplace. But I have some questions.

1. I do not know what kind of liner or chimney rating we have since it is mostly covered behind the walls, but I can see it outside sticking up about 2 foot higher than the house. Why does a EPA fireplace require a different liner? Wouldn't my current fireplace have to have a higher rating for liner since most of the heat rises and goes out? Just something a buddy and I have been pondering.

2. Not looking to break the bank, but looking at maybe a Kozy Heat Z42 or something similar. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

I think Buck has a number of zero clearance options, even catalytic.

http://www.buckstove.com/wood-stoves.html

I'm not knowledgeable to what fits what and what shouldn't go where, so take it for what it is - free info. Buck has a good reputation in South Carolina though. Just thought I'd throw that out for you.

1. I do not know what kind of liner or chimney rating we have since it is mostly covered behind the walls, but I can see it outside sticking up about 2 foot higher than the house. Why does a EPA fireplace require a different liner? Wouldn't my current fireplace have to have a higher rating for liner since most of the heat rises and goes out? Just something a buddy and I have been pondering.
You will need a new chimney the chimney you have is not rated for high enough temps it is not insulated and it is sized totally wrong. The reason they have lower temps is the large amount of dilution air that goes up the chimney along with the smoke.

2. Not looking to break the bank, but looking at maybe a Kozy Heat Z42 or something similar. Any thoughts or advice?
A zeroclearance unit will be on the more expensive side for sure the cheaper option is a freestanding stove. But it will generally take more work to change over to a freestander.

Status
Not open for further replies.