Right way to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
I have a small firebox, know that will reload. I start the fire top down, let the door crack out briefly until bulk of them char, then close door see the inferno break loose, for a little, then cut air to 1/3, then all the way down and watch the temp hold at about 550-500 w a load of unseasoned ash. Temp drops quickly to go around 450 then hold at 400 w the blower on. Am I doing it the right way? To maximize whatever amount of heat I can extract from ash?

What stove do you have? Once you use seasoned wood you will get more heat out of it and longer heat times, unfortunately you have to drive out so much moisture right now to get it cleaned up.

Lots of heat energy goes into driving out water in the split, cant burn water so your losing value and more then likely making a mess inside the chimney.

Sounds like you are doing it right, given what you are burning. Got any sub 20% MC wood to mix in? That would help.

Good point guys and totally awarded of the inherent moisture issue in Ash. Had to give away 2-1/4 cord of 3+ yrs hand split, seasoned oak/maple last year due to driveway work and repair (that hurts...mentally). A new ash tree was downed due to EAB and that's all we have on hand. Really dont want to buy biomass bricks as we got rounds stashed.

I have a Century CW 2500 biggest stove I can fit in, it is what it is.

Good point guys and totally awarded of the inherent moisture issue in Ash. Had to give away 2-1/4 cord of 3+ yrs hand split, seasoned oak/maple last year due to driveway work and repair (that hurts...mentally). A new ash tree was downed due to EAB and that's all we have on hand. Really dont want to buy biomass bricks as we got rounds stashed.

I have a Century CW 2500 biggest stove I can fit in, it is what it is.
Can look around for someone giving away wood pallets. Can cut them up and mix in.

Can look around for someone giving away wood pallets. Can cut them up and mix in.
Funny you say that, lowes just delivered 2 pellet full of R-38, thought about burning em but as innocent as they look, I couldn't really tell if they were treated. I chopped n tossed em. I m ok w the ash as long as I confirmed I m getting the most outta it.

Hey neighbor, I'm north. You need heat load her up and let it rip. You can slow the burn and heat with less air. Just don't let the wood smolder with no flames. Not to be confused with coals. Experiment with different method of each part of the burn. For me, a quick cold start is sometimes an issue. But I do know how to do it.

Reactions: Tnot and excessads
It sounds like you are doing ok. Drier wood will help. You could add in a compressed brick of fuel to perk things up if necessary. Note that the blower is likely dropping the stovetop temp about 100-150º.

Reactions: excessads
Funny you say that, lowes just delivered 2 pellet full of R-38, thought about burning em but as innocent as they look, I couldn't really tell if they were treated. I chopped n tossed em. I m ok w the ash as long as I confirmed I m getting the most outta it.
I don't think I have seen chemically treated pallets. Extra cost that's not needed. Most are heat treated.

split smaller as needed. One time in my early burning years i was behind on wood, and therefor had less than favorable moisture. Bought one of those electric splitters to keep in basement, where i stack my wood. of course, by hand works too.