Room blower goes on and off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

the pony boy

Nov 5, 2011
putnam ny
I have a 55-TRPEPI. And I have noticed that the room fan goes off for no reason than goes back on. The fire appears to me to be sufficient enough to maintain the heat sensor but it still does it. Any idea where to start. The stove is less than a year old and has about 2 tons ran through it and has been cleaned.

I have a different stove, but when my exhaust temp switch would get dirty and when it started going bad, the room fan would kick on and off repeatedly during shutdown. That's where I would start. The switch probably has a bunch of soot cooked to it so it can't accurately detect the heat, so clean that off and see if it fixes the problem.

Reactions: the pony boy
Another possibility is that the fan motor is clogged with dust, overheating, and shutting down until it cools. Try blowing the coils of the motor out with compressed air.

How does the sensor work? I looks like it's just 2 wires on a single terminal zip screwed into the exhaust tube.

It's getting pretty annoying. Everything is clean. Fan has gone off and back on 3 times in the past 30 minutes. Stove is still under warranty im going to call englander sometime tomorrow.

The sensor detects the temperature of the exhaust. Excessive soot buildup on the switch will insulate the switch somewhat from the exhaust air. On my stove it is used to determine when to come out of startup mode, when to stop the room fan during shutdown, and if the fire goes out so it knows to stop feeding pellets. I've had to clean mine a few times, and had to replace it last season sometime.

Could be just as well other things as was posted. Being under warranty, I'd have them check it out first.

s-l400-1.png
that's the temp sensor. Its screwed to the exhaust housing. The exhaust housing is clean. I did notice that when the room blower was on lower settings in ran with out stopping. When it's on 8 or 9 it stops and starts. Gonna call englander tomorrow. Thanks