room fans run constantly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 19, 2020
evergreen colorado
i have an earth stove wp50 and recently the room fans have been running constantly on the low setting where previously they would turn on periodically ( about every 2 - 3 minutes) I tried adjusting the fan speed rheostat but it has no affect. is this the bad part (rheostat) or could there be sonething else going on

i have an earth stove wp50 and recently the room fans have been running constantly on the low setting where previously they would turn on periodically ( about every 2 - 3 minutes) I tried adjusting the fan speed rheostat but it has no affect. is this the bad part (rheostat) or could there be sonething else going on

Hi evergreenmountainman,

My WAG is that there's a temperature snap switch in the system that ought to close to turn on the distribution fan when the area it's located in reaches a certain temperature and open when that area cools below a certain temperature so that the fan stops. My guess would be that that snap switch has failed in the closed position keeping the fan on continuously. Perhaps me responding will bump this to the top of the pile and lead to a more informed reply.

Hugh