Room temp probe or setting not working?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08specB

Mar 31, 2014
Ellington, CT
Ok so I have read the how my Harman works thread several times to try and understand how my stove works. I have had my stove (XXV) for just a couple months however really only using it the last month since its been getting colder out. I have the stove set at between 75-80 degrees, on ROOM temp and the feed it set at 3. The sensor until last night was left curled up the way they sent it to me on the back of the stove. I kept the fan/blower setting all the way on high also while running the stove.

The room the stove is in is a living room and it along with all of the connecting rooms have cathedral ceilings. The living room, dining room, kitchen and foyer are ALL cathedral and the total square footage upstairs is about 1,350 sq ft. The hallway to the bedrooms it starts with regular 8ft ceilings (raised ranch).

I bring this up because my in-laws got their 52i insert installed this past week. Their settings are set to the same as mine but their stove shuts off when the room gets to temp and mine does not (theirs is also in alot smaller of a room). It runs constantly the entire time I have it running the room gets pretty hot. I called the place I got it from and they said I should turn the temp down to make sure the probe is working and if it is the stove will slow or shut down (when it gets satisfied). If the probe isnt working the status light he said will blink 4 times. I have not noticed the status light blinking so I will try lowering the temp and keep an eye on the status light.

Any tips or anyone have this problem?

You mention that the sensor is curled up on at the back of the stove. It would be better if you were to put the sensor in a place where there is good room air circulation.

Ok so I have read the how my Harman works thread several times to try and understand how my stove works. I have had my stove (XXV) for just a couple months however really only using it the last month since its been getting colder out. I have the stove set at between 75-80 degrees, on ROOM temp and the feed it set at 3. The sensor until last night was left curled up the way they sent it to me on the back of the stove. I kept the fan/blower setting all the way on high also while running the stove.

The room the stove is in is a living room and it along with all of the connecting rooms have cathedral ceilings. The living room, dining room, kitchen and foyer are ALL cathedral and the total square footage upstairs is about 1,350 sq ft. The hallway to the bedrooms it starts with regular 8ft ceilings (raised ranch).

I bring this up because my in-laws got their 52i insert installed this past week. Their settings are set to the same as mine but their stove shuts off when the room gets to temp and mine does not (theirs is also in alot smaller of a room). It runs constantly the entire time I have it running the room gets pretty hot. I called the place I got it from and they said I should turn the temp down to make sure the probe is working and if it is the stove will slow or shut down (when it gets satisfied). If the probe isnt working the status light he said will blink 4 times. I have not noticed the status light blinking so I will try lowering the temp and keep an eye on the status light.

Any tips or anyone have this problem?
Is the toggle switch on the board in manual or auto?

You mention that the sensor is curled up on at the back of the stove. It would be better if you were to put the sensor in a place where there is good room air circulation.

it was. Last night I taped it (temporarily) up higher away from the stove

auto, I was under the impression that ONLY matters when the stove is lit
If you were in manual the stove would never shut off so I was ruling that out. I would imagine trying to get to 80 is going to be tough even though you think its quite warm in the room. You can do what your stove shop told you and set it back a bit but my money is on the fact that your feed rate is on 3 and the stove is having trouble feeding enough fuel to get you to the desired set temp. Set your feed rate to 4 and try to maintain 70 and see how you do....

it was. Last night I taped it (temporarily) up higher away from the stove
hopefully not near a window or draft prone area

If you were in manual the stove would never shut off so I was ruling that out. I would imagine trying to get to 80 is going to be tough even though you think its quite warm in the room. You can do what your stove shop told you and set it back a bit but my money is on the fact that your feed rate is on 3 and the stove is having trouble feeding enough fuel to get you to the desired set temp. Set your feed rate to 4 and try to maintain 70 and see how you do....

I was told the stove should be set on 3 or 4 but you are right I will try and set the temp down and if that doesnt work put the feed up to 4.

also the stove is not near any drafty area's it is vented out of a wall with no windows or doors.

I was told the stove should be set on 3 or 4 but you are right I will try and set the temp down and if that doesnt work put the feed up to 4.

also the stove is not near any drafty area's it is vented out of a wall with no windows or doors.
Set it on 4 and forget it. 3 isn't high enough now that we are getting colder here in New England.

Reactions: 08specB
auto, I was under the impression that ONLY matters when the stove is lit
With all due respect, you probably ought to read the Harman sticky again...its hard to absorb it all at once.

I dont know, but the wireless thermostat on my englander works perfectly and is so simple! :p

My wife and I bought a new P52i not long ago. After it was installed we were pretty exited to get it fired up and running. We didn't know much about the function of the temp prob at the time so we just left it coiled up on the floor about 5' away from the stove. Anyway that first night we ran the stove on a feed rate of 4, mode selector was on room temp and the dial was set to about 70°. Well it wasn't long before I was running around in my shorts and a tank top. When I finally decided it was time to turn the stove off and do some research my digital thermometer read 78° in the living room. After posting some questions here, I started realizing the importance of temp prob positioning. Being's we pretty much spend all our time in the same room as the stove, I didn't want to extend the prob wiring and have it in a separate part of the room as some have done. I felt that it would take to long for the temp to reach the prob, and by then it would be a sauna. We left it in the same room, but about as far as it would reach and on an inside wall about 5' off the floor. Also because at the time I felt the prob was not sensing the correct temperatures, I took my digital thermometer and when the stove would turn on or shut off, I would check the temp at the prob to verify it was indeed sensing the correct temps. It was. One thing we also discovered was the option of turning the ignitor selector switch to manual after the stove lights from auto mode. We were pretty excited about the stove having the functionality to turn itself on and off as temp demands were met or needed, but after that fire went out the first time we decided maybe that wasn't too neat after all. Turning the ignitor toggle to manual after the stove fires up still allows the stove to cycle down once demands are met, but it keeps a small maintenance fire going till the demand for more heat is sensed by the prob then fires back up to full throttle. We found that by using the stove in this manner we could actually turn the temp down a bit as the stove fire never goes out. I agree on the feed rate of 4 also. It seems to be the recommended setting by most here, and I've found by running on #4 feed the stoves performance seems more consistent. I would recommend using an accurate digital thermometer and reading the temp at the prob before you fire up the stove, then turn your temp dial down and turn the mode selector on to the start position. Turn the temp dial up and see what the temp setting is when the stove starts the ignition process. If the room temp is 70 and it starts just above that I would say the prob is sensing correctly.

Last edited:
Ok so over the weekend I tapes the probe about 5ft above and to the back left of the stove. I also changed the feed to 4 and lowered the temp hoping the probe would read a lower temp and turn off the stove. It turned off (without a flame twice) and lowered the flame several times. It has been running for 2-3 days straight. I guess the room is so large that the stove doesnt get satisfied really. The probe does work though so thats the good news the not so good news is I think in the room its in its not gonna shut itself down much.

Ok so over the weekend I tapes the probe about 5ft above and to the back left of the stove. I also changed the feed to 4 and lowered the temp hoping the probe would read a lower temp and turn off the stove. It turned off (without a flame twice) and lowered the flame several times. It has been running for 2-3 days straight. I guess the room is so large that the stove doesnt get satisfied really. The probe does work though so thats the good news the not so good news is I think in the room its in its not gonna shut itself down much.
So as the weather gets colder, that makes you a good candidate for Room Temp Manual operation. The fire will throttle back to maintenance burn and ramp back up when called for....

So as the weather gets colder, that makes you a good candidate for Room Temp Manual operation. The fire will throttle back to maintenance burn and ramp back up when called for....

so you are saying after the fire is burning and started switch it over to manual mode but leave all the settings the same? What does that change?

so you are saying after the fire is burning and started switch it over to manual mode but leave all the settings the same? What does that change?
The fire won't go out. It will cut way back to a minimum burn and your igniter wont have to cycle. You say above that you don't think it's ever going to satisfy the set temp much. Knowing that, you should just put the switch in manual and you'll be subject to a bit less swing.

Try moving the probe from behind the stove (I know, you moved it to the wall, but the wall behind my P61a never gets warm even when the room is literally 80 degrees). Move it to beside or slightly in front of the stove so it gets a good representative whiff of what the room temp is actually at. You would be surprised what an 18" forward will do for the temp reading. Set between 70 & 75, feed rate 4 and let it go.

Place a digital thermometer next to the probe and see if that area actually gets to your set temp. If the thermometer thinks you have surpassed the set temp and the stove hasn't throttled back , then perhaps there is a problem with either the probe or the digital board. Also, for a reminder, in Auto the stove will throttle back when it hits temp, but not actually turn itself off unless it hasn't gotten a call for heat for an hour.

Try moving the probe from behind the stove (I know, you moved it to the wall, but the wall behind my P61a never gets warm even when the room is literally 80 degrees). Move it to beside or slightly in front of the stove so it gets a good representative whiff of what the room temp is actually at. You would be surprised what an 18" forward will do for the temp reading. Set between 70 & 75, feed rate 4 and let it go.

Place a digital thermometer next to the probe and see if that area actually gets to your set temp. If the thermometer thinks you have surpassed the set temp and the stove hasn't throttled back , then perhaps there is a problem with either the probe or the digital board. Also, for a reminder, in Auto the stove will throttle back when it hits temp, but not actually turn itself off unless it hasn't gotten a call for heat for an hour.

The way the stove is placed in the room it is very hard to put the probe in front of the stove unless its on the floor. Since it is free standing the only thing near the stove above the floor is a TV stand to the right of the stove when looking at it. I have attached a pic of what it looks like in the room so you can get an idea.

I will however get a digital thermometer and test the area. In the pic you can see where the walls separate by that piece of wood that is where I placed the probe about 5ft up.

Attachments

• 750.JPG
    750.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 374
Just place a chair there for now and tie the probe to a chair arm (I tie mine to a small multi shelf unit on rollers that is beside my washing machine so the probe is to the side and about even with the middle of the door). you are just testing this out, not making permanent changes for now.

I forgot to add, make sure the tip of the probe is not touching anything but air when set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.