Rough Duty/Shatter Proof Light Bulb Warning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I blew that - don't know where I got x-rays from :confused:. I corrected my post.

Read the article, its UV, not X-Rays.

Its been known for decades that Flourescent lights put out UV. The long tube flourescents that you sit under at work all day long probably put out much more than your houshold CFLs do, and nobody ever got skin cancer sitting in an office.
I agree if you want to use fluorescent lamps as grow lights they need to be 2" away from the plants for the UV to have any affect.. On another note there are ballasted fixtures designed for cold weather applications but they are not CFL's..

Ray

I haven't bought a regular incandescent bulb in the past 15 yrs, except for an appliance bulb in the refrigerator. We have several halogen desk lamps and I use them for outdoor flood lamps as well. When we redid the bathroom I went all halogen in there too. I'm welcoming the change. It will drive down costs and I like that there are now bulbs in conventional form factors that are halogen inside.

On the teflon outgassing question, does anyone know if the "yoshi blue" pan has this issue too?
Tried CFL's in the fish tank hood and it was lit up like Las Vegas! Not only that but they promoted algae growth.. Went back to incandescent after this.. BTW I have a couple really cool VERY old Edison lamps here rated in candle power with carbon filaments that came from an old electrical warehouse in Newport, R.I... The glass is hand blown.. Very cool ;)

I don't think incans are anywhere near as bad as needing to be outright banned, I think this is almost silly. Especially with how much material (and toxins) are in cfls. Now I have plenty of cfl's too. But like some of the previous posters there are many applications I prefer incans. Also the extra power they consume - well since half the year I am running electric space heaters for supplimental heat I think the amount of extra power being consumed is null, as it nearly all lost as heat, which I utilize.

I think cfls are a half-assed solution. Regular flourescent can be more efficient anyhow, and they have been around forever but people dont like them mainly due to being ugly, and perhaps sizing issues. But I chose electronic ballasted T8's and T5's (some even with polished reflectors) straight flourescents for various spots around the house and garage. LED's I think are better solution, just too costly still.

I didn't realize teflon was quite this bad though! I mean I heard things, but dismissed them as the 'one in a million chance' of something happening or whatever. I havent found much anything else that I can cook omlettes on, though nice seasoned CI maybe but our current kitchen situation precludes the use of CI. Need something I can throw in the dishwasher. How do those hard anodized aluminum pans work I've never cooked on them before?

Tried CFL's in the fish tank hood and it was lit up like Las Vegas! Not only that but they promoted algae growth..

This is one application I went flourescent too but not cfls - I needed more light. Algae is a result of nutrients in the water (i.e. fish waste) and too much light. I'm sure cfl would be fine if you could get a smaller one with more equivelent output to what you replaced it with. For me I was growing plants in my tank so I needed a lot of light. I actually used T5's with a ballast designed for higher output lights, overdriving the bulbs to get a little bit more light.

This is one application I went flourescent too but not cfls - I needed more light. Algae is a result of nutrients in the water (i.e. fish waste) and too much light. I'm sure cfl would be fine if you could get a smaller one with more equivelent output to what you replaced it with. For me I was growing plants in my tank so I needed a lot of light. I actually used T5's with a ballast designed for higher output lights, overdriving the bulbs to get a little bit more light.
These CFL lamps were actually designed for fish tanks but it was way too bright! The fish demanded tiny little sunglasses lol..

Ray

The yoshi blue and other ceramic type style pans do advertise they are "non-teflon" but what they use to make them nonstick isn't discussed :). I have several ceramic enamel over cast iron pots and stuff can get stuck or burnt on to the bottom. for the most part, I stick to my stainless steel or cast iron.

I read that the organic green pan is actually diamond dust embedded in ptfe. Folks haven't been happy to discover that and reports are that the pans don't stand up well. But so far they seem to like the yoshiblue, well at least at first. But it has problems too. The handle is heavier than the pan making it hard to stay flat on a burner. And after a short while food start sticking badly. I think we'll pass on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.