RS Adapter and Lock Top Damper for wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brightlee

Dec 10, 2019
White Lake, MI
I inherited a Vogelzang Performer II (?) when we bought our house last year. It sits in an afterthought room that used to be an outdoor deck (believe it or not) that is now enclosed and part of the house. The flue for the stove sits well below the highest point in the house and while burning draws just fine, when its not in use it suffers from a seriously cold backdraft. To the point that we closed the room and said "See you in the spring". I have researched the cold backdraft and understand why it happens. I'm wondering if anyone has ever installed a top damper on a round wood stove flue with any success? I found the kit with the RS Adapter and Lock Top Damper for $235 online and thought I'd ask around before I make the investment. Alternately I'm considering just eliminating the piece of junk stove altogether, enjoying the additional space and letting my pellet stove insert in my living room handle the job by itself!

I inherited a Vogelzang Performer II (?) when we bought our house last year. It sits in an afterthought room that used to be an outdoor deck (believe it or not) that is now enclosed and part of the house. The flue for the stove sits well below the highest point in the house and while burning draws just fine, when its not in use it suffers from a seriously cold backdraft. To the point that we closed the room and said "See you in the spring". I have researched the cold backdraft and understand why it happens. I'm wondering if anyone has ever installed a top damper on a round wood stove flue with any success? I found the kit with the RS Adapter and Lock Top Damper for $235 online and thought I'd ask around before I make the investment. Alternately I'm considering just eliminating the piece of junk stove altogether, enjoying the additional space and letting my pellet stove insert in my living room handle the job by itself!
No I have never seen a lock top installed on a stove. How would you control it? I have a feeling the cable would burn off pretty quickly

No I have never seen a lock top installed on a stove. How would you control it? I have a feeling the cable would burn off pretty quickly

Exactly what I wondered first. Would you maybe bring it out the side of the flue with a small hole and something to seal it as best you could? Didn’t seem real feasible...