RSF Opel internal blower questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtalljv

Jan 5, 2016
california
Hi,

My house has an RSF Opel AP fireplace in it. It appears to have been installed when the house was new 10-12 years ago. They had wired it, somewhat, for an internal blower but didn't install one. The somewhat is that there is a wall switched 110v line to the bottom of the fireplace. Without tearing holes in the surrounding dry wall I can't run all the wiring the blower instructions call for, 110v line (existing), variable speed controller, and optional on now switch.

So here's the question, can I install the blower with just the 110v supply and the thermal switch? Or do I suck it up and tear into the wall and do it right?

How loud are the blowers at full speed? I assume without a controller it will run full speed.

We are a California house so we aren't dealing with cold temps, I was just looking to be able to turn the fireplace down to low, and get some better heat distribution.

thanks,
Jason

Is there a junction box on the "somewhat" line?
If not, are you able to install one?
Either way, you should be able to use what's there.
Wire it into the line & leave the wall switch "ON."
The controller & the thermodisk will do the rest.
Blowers are normally louder than fans.
The type & manufacture of the blower will
determine just how loud it gets.

this would be the blower, http://electricmotorwarehouse.com/r...24kpLMlcoCFUWVfgodF1wBBA#sthash.8Hkilqry.dpbs

can they be "I can't hear the TV" loud or "whats that humm in the background loud"? I guess I can install the easy way as it's wired and if it's too loud I can tear things up to install the speed controller.

Junction box? No, there is no junction box, the wire is just poking out of a hole under the fire box (where the ash box sits) I assume I could put one in, there appears to be room. how hot does it get under a fireplace? I'll try to post a picture.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.