RSF Outside Air Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roberth42

May 12, 2010
Tres-St-Redempteur, Quebec
Hello!! Been a few years since I've been on the forum.
Moved in May and the house has an RSF Delta....installed 1996.
Been cleaning it up and have all new gaskets arriving tomorrow....however I have a question regarding the outside air kit. Seems like a box and the box has been closed with tuck tape. Not sure why......
Any thoughts??

20221107_153905.jpg 20221107_133037.jpg 20221107_133045.jpg 20221107_143219.jpg 20221107_131031.jpg

Is the bottom circular grate a screened intake to the outdoors? Is that where the bees are nesting? Is the outside air intake port on the Delta open and unrestricted? If so, it sounds like the chamber behind the insert was being used as a plenum. This would not be my preference. I would prefer a direct short insulated flex duct supplying the outside air. That would keep the back of the fireplace cabinet hotter.

A guess about the tape is that too much cold air was coming in behind the fireplace, cooling both the fireplace down and maybe leaking into the house when the fire wasn't burning.

Is the bottom circular grate a screened intake to the outdoors? Is that where the bees are nesting? Is the outside air intake port on the Delta open and unrestricted? If so, it sounds like the chamber behind the insert was being used as a plenum. This would not be my preference. I would prefer a direct short insulated flex duct supplying the outside air. That would keep the back of the fireplace cabinet hotter.

A guess about the tape is that too much cold air was coming in behind the fireplace, cooling both the fireplace down and maybe leaking into the house when the fire wasn't burning.
Bottom circular is not screened. Its solid and capped off.
Bees are at the top on the other side of the red tape.

The hole leading to behind the fireplace is open and unrestricted.

Yes would agree that the chamber behind the insert was being used as a plenum. On each side of the fireplace are grills for heat to escape.

What would be the recommended action here?

Thanks!

20221107_190531.jpg 20221107_190610.jpg 20221107_191507.jpg 20221107_191515.jpg

I'd hook up the outside air per factory recommendations in the manual.