Rusty Water Stains on Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pirates712

Dec 13, 2020
Rochester NY
I'm not sure how well it'll show up in the pictures, but my chimney cap came un-siliconed and allowed some rainwater to run down the chimney along the liner and drip onto the top of my 3-month old Jotul F45. I think at least some of the rustiness is from water running over the metal damper and dripping on to the stove, I'm not sure if the stove itself could have rusted just from water dripping on it since it's painted. I was able to get the majority off with mild detergent and a toothbrush/rag, but there's still some orange left if you can see it in the pictures. It's not that noticable since my stove is fully inside the fireplace, but I'd appreciate any suggestions to make it better.

I did fix the chimney cap, by the way.

PXL_20210329_192840363.jpg PXL_20210329_192818978.jpg PXL_20210329_192808330.jpg

I don't see it. Hope you found where it's coming from. It's not easy to find.

I don't see it either, but small rust spots will darken with heat. If it's really bothering you, touch it up with some stove paint.

I can see what you are talking about. It does not seem to be a place that is very noticeable. Consider it akin to the first time you get a door ding on a new car. Man it sucks. By the time it gets 100k miles on it that’s the least noticeable imperfection. As a general rule I only you a water damp rag to clean my stove. Any residue left behind burns and is really noticeable on my white enamel. Painting seems like a big undertaking at this point. If I could not stand to look at it I’d cover it up with a cast iron griddle any of any body asked I would have a good reason ready like “oh I use it to keep (insert favorite food) warm on the table”.

Evan