Sanity Check - Quote for install and supply of pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all:

I need a sanity check to se if a quote I received is fair and reasonable or something is out of whack.

The house

I'm building a brand new home and have been designing around a good wood burning stove experience for 8 months. I've got a wood burning stove sitting in a wide open great room with 9' ceilings. The stove pipe is running straight up into the ceiling, doing a 30 degree bend, then straightening again before going through the 2nd floor interior (boxed out around the class A pipe) before exiting the roof. 2nd floor is 8' ceilings. Above the roofline (asphalt shingle), there continues a boxed out structure to surround the class A pipe until reaching the requisite height to clear the roof ridge.

The pipe components

So basically for parts: 6 feet of stove pipe from the stove (6" ID), a transition through a ceiling, 2 30 degree bends, about 4 feet of pipe between the bends, then another say 18 feet before terminating above the roof ridge. The chimney will be sided, not stucco or masonry, so I'll need a chase cover for the top of the chimney.

The quote

I've worked with a wonderful shop on building a quote for a green mountain 80 stove. Love it and they priced it as expected. They also priced a gas fireplace in another part of the house. Also priced as expected. Their install costs for the wood burning stove and chimney is quoted at $1,700 - I find this very reasonable as my install costs 10-11 years old for a Lopi Insert and liner were $1,300 and this is a much more complex job.

What has shocked me is the price for PARTS for that chimney for the wood burning stove. I've got $6,857 in PARTS on the quote for the piping, locking bands, adapters, bends, ceiling support, firestop radiation shield, insulation, custom chase cover, rain cap, spark arrestor, roof flashing, and a "custom made firestop for 30 degree bend offset through floor" for $400.

My builder is going to rough frame everything and then have it drywall'd for installation. So the quote should be for basically the piping and componentry to ensure the stove exhausts up through the house and then exits the top of the framed out chimney, and that the chimney does not leak around where it exits.

Am I right to go "wait, something's wrong" OR does this quote sound about right given what I've described and current steel/pipe prices?

Thanks all,

Joe

Figure with todays insurance, employee taxes and material markups (due to component shortages) the average business w/ 3 people working the whole day will require about 4.5g now to keep things profitable. But seeing $6,857 essentially labeled miscellaneous seems a bit over the top

That sounds like a "we don't really want the job, but if he bites at this price, fine" quote...

It sounds high to me

I have a full break out of prices for every component. I think it's likely a 2 person job for a day to bring in the stove, set it, and run the pipe 28' up. The install price looks good to me ($900/person/day) and I understand mark-up on components; I was just expecting something like perhaps $3,000 in pipe and related pieces - i.e. ~$80/ft plus the chase cover - not >$200/ft.

I have a full break out of prices for every component. I think it's likely a 2 person job for a day to bring in the stove, set it, and run the pipe 28' up. The install price looks good to me ($900/person/day) and I understand mark-up on components; I was just expecting something like perhaps $3,000 in pipe and related pieces - i.e. ~$80/ft plus the chase cover - not >$200/ft.
At 28' with current pricing it may not be as high as I thought. I can't buy it anywhere near $80/ft now

BHoller - I'm not asking for a quote, but could you give me a ballpark of what you'd expect to be charging for the PARTS on a new-build install like I've described.

It sounds like there is a lot of custom work, some of which could be avoided by revisiting the design while it is still on paper. Consider relocating the stove or putting the offset elsewhere (in the stovepipe or eliminated altogether).

Come up with a rough calculation for the piping and fittings by using online info from Rockford or Woodland's websites.