saranac insert convection blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jtom7

Feb 28, 2020
Massachusetts
hello, I have a hudson saranac insert and am having problems with the convection blower either not coming on or stopping all of a sudden. I saw previous issues/threads with the blower being too close to the fire chamber and I had been using a fire proof insulated block i made between the stove and the blower motor and all had been well for a long time now. Then the blower just stopped randomly here and there again which caused the snap disc overheat switch to pop and I had to reset it. I made my own snorkel (as it has been called) which moved the blower back about 4 more inches (couldnt find anywhere to buy one) and started the stove and the blower didnt come on at all this time and it overheated again. When I plug the blower in directly to 120v it runs just fine. I am thinking being it is the model that has the saranac running vertical on the front that it is possibly the old control panel that is failing to control the convection blower?? Anyone have any thoughts before I just splice a wire to have it run full speed anytime its plugged in? LOL. I also saw something about the jumper being in a certain location but I think that only applies to fire rate? and my issue is the fan only comes on sporadically whenever the controller feels like turning it on and will shut it down all of a sudden when its been running for a long period. Usually it comes on without a problem but was surprised today when it failed to start blowing. again direct power and it runs fine.. please any thoughts appreciated..

Unplug the stove, Follow the 2 brown wires to the snap disc and pull them off the disc and connect together. Keep them from touching the stove while testing. Plug back in and try it.

Thank you for the replies. I jumped the thermo disc thats on the combustion fan and then everything worked and problem resolved. Guess I need a new one. Is there anything in particular (part number) when seeking a new cheap one? or are they all very similar? This is referred to as the low limit sensor right? Didn't see any others except the high limit on the back of the stove.
Thank you again

Look on the switch itself and google the part numbers on it.

theres a bunch of numbers(on the inside of it had to take it out) looks like 49T12 is it. eBay has a ceramic for 21.95 unless they have cheaper alternates? Thanks guys also its a 140 degree from what i see