Saw Sharpening Jig

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
Ive read a few of the posts here on sharpening chainsaws. I was browsing a catalog and saw the Granberg Filing jig. Looked like it would work well for newbies like me trying to sharpen their saws the quickest and best they can. Anyone of the verterans here seen/used this unit. What do you all think?

D

The pros all sharpen by hand and eyeball everything except the rakers, but that takes some practice. I would shy away from a jig per se, but get a file holder that shows you the correct angle, which is the most important part of successful chain sharpening. Once you learn to sharpen by hand it's remarkably easy, but it's a steep learning curve, and perhaps not worth it for casual users. But if you cut more than a couple of cords a year, then I'd say it's worth learning. The jigs I've used don't allow you the freedom of hand motion and the ability to apply pressure at critical points in the stroke to get the right edge on the cutter. JMO.

People who use hand grinders seem happy with them, too, but it's hard with a rotary grinder to get consistent results, tooth-to-tooth. The first thing most professional loggers do when they mount a new chain is put a file to it.

I have one of the file holders and that certainly was a step up from eyeballing like I was first taught but just wondered if there was an even "easier" way then I spotted this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.