Scenes from the World BioEnergy Conference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
Here's a collection of photos of some of the cooler stuff on display at the recent World BioEnergy Conference in Jonkoping, Sweden. As I said in another post, almost all the factory reps I spoke with said their products would be available in North America "soon." But don't bet the farm on it. I also didn't get into pricing at all, but you can probably guess that it's a pricey ballpark at current energy and exchange rates. Most of these units seemed to have negative draft regulated by lambda CO-sensing controllers.

I'll try to provide brief descriptions. I will have more details on some of this stuff when my luggage arrives next week. All the brochures are in my suitcase. I barely made my connection in Manchester; my suitcase didn't.

Here's the Effecta chunkwood boiler with the pellet option. As you can see, the pellet meter can be easily detached for conversion back to firewood.

Attachments

• 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 590
  • 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 574
  • 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 569
Here's a chip burner called the Uni-Boiler. I like the clean, utilitarian design. Most, if not all of the chip burners have multi-pass tube hx arrangements accessible from the front panel. The chip hopper is in the back, with an auger and negative, induced draft. This one was especially nice. Maybe I say that because this was one of my first stops, and somebody handed me a shot of aquavit or some other brandy-like grog when I started asking questions. Nice way to start the morning when you're traveling in a tour bus.

Check out the big monster at the rear of the booth.

Attachments

• 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 554
  • 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 556
Here's the chip-burning OWB of the future. They apologized for the appearance of the shipping container shell, but I thought it was a pretty neat design all the same. Note that the back quarter or third of the container is actually a big chip hopper, accessible from above. The white units at the one end are water-to-air heat exchangers to dissipate the heat produced in this demo unit. That's right, she's running in these pics. The actual boiler is inside and although I didn't get a close-up shot, it's a dandy. I think the guy said this is the 60KW unit, which is among the bigger residential units on display at this show. Hard to get a frame of reference on the chips it burns (the shadow of my head and the bolts in the side of the container), but they're about half the size of your typical whole-tree chip, and cleaner, with no stringy material. The guy said the thing works best with chips in the 30% mc range. Get up around 60% and it doesn't work at all.

Attachments

• 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 534
  • 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 85.jpg
    85.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 541
Here's an EKO pellet burner. No English-speaking rep available at the EKO booth, but I managed to get a couple of photos. Sorry about the flash glare.

Attachments

• 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 540
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 538
This is a pellet delivery truck. Typical European over-engineering and excessive attention to style.

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 554
The much-lauded Froling chunkwood boiler. Nice rig!

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 558
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 560
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 537
More Froling details.

Attachments

• 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 529
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 542
I know nofossil is going to be drooling all over his keyboard when he sees this, so I saved it for last. OWB of the future, Part II.

This one is set up with a pellet burner, but you can drop in a chip burner if you prefer. Yes, that's a solar panel. No, I don't know what technology is used. Bulk fuel storage in the back third, I believe.

energycabin.com

Attachments

• 81.jpg
    81.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 511
  • 82.jpg
    82.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 503
Here's a couple more shots of the EnergyCabin. I have a bunch more pics of various other rigs, including a bunch more chip burners. I'm too jetlagged at the moment to process and post them, but stay tuned.

Attachments

• 83.jpg
    83.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 512
Very interesting - thanks for all the photos.

I've been contemplating something along the lines of the Energy Cabin - a self-contained structure that could be delivered in one piece and contains wood, solar, and storage. Seems like a good product.

%-P Smiley of me drooling over keyboard. Awesome units over there Eric. Get rested up, can't wait for more info from abroad.
As heaterman said this is the difference between a model T (existing domestic units) and a current model Mercedes.

Will

Pellet delivery truck? Sounds like the technology might be coming of age...

Chris

Saw plenty, Kev, but didn't take photographs of any. Helsinki was particularly scenic.

Now we know why you are an Editor Eric. . . .how else does one go to Sweden and not come back with some sun-drenched, bicycle-riding-toned Dams?

BTW, welcome back and bring on the tech!!

Here’s the Effecta chunkwood boiler with the pellet option.

Eric, Is the Effecta a gassifier when burning chunkwood ? Any more info on the Froeling line ?

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.