scf 050 vacuum problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walleye223

Jan 10, 2014
Duanesburg New York
Furnace runs for 12hrs on thermostat then goes to safety and shuts down control board indicates vacuum problem. On manual it will only run 5 hrs before it does the same thing.I have changed the vac switch but still does the same thing. cleaned the hell out of the furnace but still same problem. Check all seals on all doors no leaks any body have this problem????????

Last edited:
The manual just says what I have already done, and the furnace does the same thing, but have found out now that if you run it on manual on a lower setting it will run with no problem, setting on 1 or 2 but if you move it up to 3 the problem starts again whats up with that?????????????????

What cleaning have you done on the unit? I don't have one of these but just did a cleaning on my Elena - have been burning on level 4 due to extreme cold - and found exhaust pathways and venting had more ash than anticipated (only about 800 hrs run time but higher volume). Do a good internal exhaust pathway cleaning and clean venting to see if that cures the problem. If not, it seems like your tripping the high limit switch. Check set-point, clean squirrel cage on blower, etc. Flow chart on pg 4.

Fairly new unit? Can always call the dealer...

This unit has a diagnostic system if you get the furnace too hot the high limit shuts the stove down but indicates this with a flashing red light on the number 3 setting and number2 setting the only flashing light I'm getting is on number 2 this indicates a vacuum problem . I have cleaned every thing possibly on this stove , even using one of those dryer hose cleaners, this thing is just driving me nuts, going to hook up a manometer next to measure the vacuum inside the stove. The exhaust pathways are clear,and the unit is 3 years old, the manufacture is useless. The unit is made by ST- CORIX an you can't get anybody to help you there they won't let you talk to a tech. Oh my chimney is only about 5ft and its clean as a whistle.I 'm going to give the manometer a try and see if we have vacuum in furnace.

Sorry to hear of your problem with this furnace and company. Does it have an OAK (outside air kit)? You could be developing negative pressure situation in basement. One member had a similar situation because he added radon filtration in the basement. Have you checked usual suspects with vacuum problems -- hopper latch/gasket, door latch/gasket, proper placement of burn pot, ashtraps secured? - Not trying to frustrate you just trying to help with some of the things that may get overlooked.

Search the forum for others with this unit and send PMs or revive thread to see what problems/solutions they had. Call the dealer if it's not off warranty...

Good luck.

Have you changed the fuel you are using? New pellets, mix of corn/pellets, etc? Do you need to adjust damper on higher settings? Are you getting more rapid clinker formation? Pg 36 -37 mentions more frequent ash removal (10-12 hours) when running on higher temp.

My Revolution did the same thing once, turned out that the room air filter was dirty, somehow that cut the combustion flow. Did you try opening the damper on your combustion air intake a little bit ?

I'm still using the same pellet I usually use, I don't use corn. When the furnace shuts down the burn pot is only 1/4 full and it dumps easily, far as the room air filter I change that every month.You said open the damper more,but that will reduce the vacuum in the stove not increase it.The combustion fan on this furnace pulls air from the combustion chamber, by opening the damper you give the air flow less resistance causing less vacuum in the combustion chamber.I did try that,but still shut down 5hrs on #3setting. I haven't had a chance to measure the vacuum in the furnace yet been busy butchering beef but might get a chance today to hook up the meter and watch it,anyway thank for all the subjection.I'll figure something out.

Last edited:
Well I finally got mad enough with this furnace,removed and replaced every gasket in this furnace, removed every removable part and cleaned with Karo. and high air pressure, was even thinking of breaking some welds but I didn't. Got it all back together now and has been running on the thermostat for 48 hrs so far, never did find out what caused it to screw up, but I know how to fix it again , should be a scf-050 tech. by now I know every inch of that furnace.Well thanks for all you're input and I will keep in touch time to time Thanks. Lake Girl and hossthehermit

Glad to hear it's up and running again.:) Since you did a massive clean and lube job, hard to tell what was the fix. High pressure air can dislodge hardened ash and seems the first go to for troubles - just tough containing airborne particles!

Well back to the drawing board furnace got vacuum problems again, don't really know what to do now,the stove can't be dirty its only been a little while since I cleaned it, going to try and put a control board in it

Where are you getting your combustion air from and where is the unit picking its vacuum measurements from?

IIRC (I'm old, suffer from CRS) that unit has a reference vacuum pickup point that is a small port on the units shell. If this is the case then your combustion air must come from the same room that the unit is in. If you are drawing outside air via an OAK then this will cause you to go out on vacuum issues occasionally.

I don't have an OAK it gets air from in the room. I think we have found the problem, its a control board problem. I have order one but it will take a couple of days to get here.The voltage at the switch fluctuates, and I think this is the problem. I have tested the wires and there's no breaks. The power at the board jumps between 2 volts and 4.9. the voltage is suppose to be 5 so I think this is the problem. We shall see

I don't have an OAK it gets air from in the room. I think we have found the problem, its a control board problem. I have order one but it will take a couple of days to get here.The voltage at the switch fluctuates, and I think this is the problem. I have tested the wires and there's no breaks. The power at the board jumps between 2 volts and 4.9. the voltage is suppose to be 5 so I think this is the problem. We shall see

That will cause a problem. There maybe a loose or oxidized contacts at either end of the wires the wires themselves can be fine. Something to run down, quick connects can be problematical.

I took the voltage readings right at the board connections ,I thing there's a problem in the board will find out tomorrow if the mail man shows up, sure hope this solves the problem with this furnace its been a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.