Score with long term potential

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I responded to a Craig's List ad for free wood and chips delivered to a list of towns near me, but not mine, a few weeks ago. It turned out to be a foreman from the Save a Tree branch a few towns over from me. He said he couldn't deliver to me because I live in another branches territory, but that I was welcome to come to his yard and take whatever wood I want as he has to pay for disposal. I finally got over there on Monday and left with about 3/4 cord of Red Oak, Ash, and, I think, one of the "soft" Maples. All the wood was piled and I was free to cut and load what ever I wanted. Because I have all my '10/'11 wood split and stacked, I only took the good stuff. The foreman assured me that there will be a constant supply. We will stay in touch so I know when to come back. The yard is about a 25 minute drive for me. This is gonna be so much better than working roadside, or scrounging from people's private property. I can take, and more importantly, leave what ever I want. I can take the time to cut to my length, and split the big stuff into manageable sizes, and don't have risk being run over when working roadside. They must run some pretty big chippers because all of the wood was more than 12" and most closer to 24". I should have my '11/'12 wood c/s/s by spring or early summer.
When I was there, he offered to bring a "whole truckload" 20-30 yards of Ash to my house, but I had to decline because I don't have enough room to get that much wood at once. I think I am in good shape now.
I didn't take any pictures, because it seems that most piles and truckloads of wood look about the same.

Maybe I need to get on the phone ot my local tree companies. i think most of them sell firewood, but maybe i'll get lucky too.

Adios Pantalones said:
NICE! It's hard to remember that they consider it a favor for you to take it away!

Yup! I sent him an email that night thanking him for the wood. He thanked me for taking it! Doesn't get much better than that.

Great -

One caution. Look carefully at the largest sections. The trunk of trees cut from yards, schools, fencerows may well have bolts, concrete, and lots of wire in them. Lately I've been leaving the main trunk pieces of trees from yards from the ground to about 6' up.

Many Golf Courses will also have Ash for the taking.

ATB,
Mike

Yeah, I got one of them long term score deals going on too, nothing like it.

Congratulations and post some pics, their not all the same and we don't get sick of looking at 'em!

Pictures.*
wood8-909.jpg

Pile of wood
Washington2.jpg

Truck full of wood

*Neither of these pictures were taken on this trip.

Flatbedford said:
Pictures.*
wood8-909.jpg

Pile of wood
Washington2.jpg

Truck full of wood

*Neither of these pictures were taken on this trip.

WOW!!!! Excellent score!

Ray

wow - that truck can hold a lot of wood! that is a great deal gettin thanked to take the wood "off their hands for them"

Steve that is fantastic and it sounds like it will work perfectly for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.