Screeching Sound from New Englander 25 PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annabelle

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2008
new york
Recently put in my first pellet stove, New Englander 25 PDVC. About 3 wks of using it (3 hrs a day) I have been getting this annoying screeching sound, it appears when the bottom auger is turning? I have read on the forum this has happened to others, and suggestions of using a flat tipped screwdriver, etc. I have tried that, and it works alittle, but not for long. When I first went on this forum someone wrote in something about graphite. Does anyone know anything about using graphite, and if so what do I need to do. This is getting really annoying. Other than that the stove so far seems to be running fine. Gets sooty on low settings, which I probably need to find out if my bottom controls are set right. This is all new to me, first year as a pellet stove owner.
Anyone with any suggestions?

Sounds like it is carbon buildup on the lower auger tube. You put a question mark there so I am not sure if you're are sure that is the problem. I believe the lower auger on your model always turns. Does the the unit always squeal? Or does it only squeal at a certain point in the auger revolution?

If it always squeals it may be that the auger is misaligned in the tube. If it didn't squeal when your first ran it and only started after some use then it is probably carbon buildup. I clean my lower auger tube every time I shut it down to clean the ash off the burn plate. Takes about 30 seconds. I find it easier to do a little every day then to fight it weekly. Scrape hard all the way around the tube and about 1/2 -1 inch back into the tube. You won't be able to reach the spot the auger covers but you can get it next time.

You can add graphite into the hopper. Next time the pellets are low just dump some powered graphite on them right over the hole in the bottom. Refill and burn away.

I don't have the same stove, but first thought is carbon buildup
around the auger. Graphite will only mask the problem if this
is the issue and its not cleaned.

I did not have the screeching sound when I first ran the stove. Just started getting it a few weeks ago. It seems it starts screeching more often after it is running. It screeches only so far it seems when the auger is turning. I think it is carbon build up also, because recently my stove seems to be getting more sooty. Not sure if because I run it low alot, or my pellets. Currently using Dry Creek Pellets from Agway. I have tried to reach in the tube with a flat head screwdriver, to clean out the carbon. Maybe I am not scraping hard enough. I will work on it today, and see what happens. Does the graphite hurt anything by using it?
Thanks for your help.

It sure sounds like you've got carbon in the auger tube that you aren't getting out. I use a flat head screw driver, place the tip against the build up, and tap it with a hammer to chisel away the carbon. It can be hard to tell where the metal stops and the carbon starts sometimes if it's all sooty. Also, the outer end of my auger tube will get carbon built up on it right over the burn pot. The tip of the auger, the last flight, will rub on this as well so be sure to take the screwdriver to that as well.

While chipping away on my carbon in the lower auger tube, I noticed that I can push on the tip of the auger alittle bit and it moves alittle back and forth slightly. Not much, maybe about 1/8th inch. Is the auger supposed to do this, or does it need to be tightened up?
If I need to tighten it, is this a difficult thing to do? I am assuming I would need to get to it, by the back, which won't be fun since we would have to move the stove out.
I seems the screeching noise has quieted down alittle since I chipped some of the carbon. It is hard to get at it and see what is carbon and what is metal.

It is normal that the auger moves just a little, as long as it is not so loose that it sags and lays on the tube. Yours sounds fine.

Try using a flashlight to spot the carbon. Also try different tools to get it off. I use a nail puller that came with a cheap set of screwdrivers. The end is angled and the tip is split with an open V in the middle. The angle lets me use the side of the blade to scrape around the inside of the tube and I stick the V on the lip of the tube to clean it.

Like Staplebox said, use a flashlight to see it more clearly and use your finger to feel for it. You'll definitley know what's carbon and what's not using your finger.

As far as the soot, when you're running your stove in the low settings ,you may need to adjust the Low Fuel Feed and the Low Burn Air to get a better burn. The lower the LFF the fewer pellets will be fed into the burnpot on settings 1 and 2, and the higher the LBA the more air that is fed into the burnpot wen on setting 1 and 2. I have adjusted mine so the fire just keeps going when on low.

Hope this helps.

What did you adjust the settings to? I have mine on the original factory settings 6-4-1.

sydney1963 said:
What did you adjust the settings to? I have mine on the original factory settings 6-4-1.

I'm running at 3-8-1 for now, but this can change with the brand of pellets I burn.

So the 3 is the pellet feed rate ?, the 8 is the blower speed?, and I'm not sure what the 1 is but I know not to change that one.

I haven't touched the lower settings. I didn't know I was supposed to. Is the 6-4-1 setting for all Englander 25-PDVC stoves? And is that left to right?
Do you adjust these settings at different times, using different types of pellets or changing to lower heat? Or do you just leave it on those settings? Can I change the settings anytime during a burn?

How do you think 5-6-1 would work?

sydney1963 said:
So the 3 is the pellet feed rate ?, the 8 is the blower speed?, and I'm not sure what the 1 is but I know not to change that one.

Yes, Yes and don't touch :)

5-6-1 might be fine for your stove, this is really a trial and error situation. Change your settings, see how it burn and modify as necessary.

rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:

5-6-1 might be fine for your stove, this is really a trial and error situation. Change your settings, see how it burn and modify as necessary.

Thanks for your time and help!

annabelle said:
I haven't touched the lower settings. I didn't know I was supposed to. Is the 6-4-1 setting for all Englander 25-PDVC stoves? And is that left to right?
Do you adjust these settings at different times, using different types of pellets or changing to lower heat? Or do you just leave it on those settings? Can I change the settings anytime during a burn?

Annabelle,

The settings are indeed from left to right when looking at the control panel. The stove is set to the default of 6-4-1 as the default I would assume because it will burn any pellet fairly well. An yes all of the 25-PDVC stoves are set to this default.

I do adjust these settings when changing brand of pellets to get a better burn when running the stove on low. You can change the settings at anytime.

sydney1963 said:
rap69ri said:
sydney1963 said:

Thanks for your time and help!

Anytime, happy burning.

Thanks for your help. Next time I turn the stove on, I will try to change the settings. I am hoping it will help when using at lower temp and lessen some of the soot I am now getting.

annabelle said:
Thanks for your help. Next time I turn the stove on, I will try to change the settings. I am hoping it will help when using at lower temp and lessen some of the soot I am now getting.

My glass still gets dirty, but it takes a couple of days.

Takes a couple of days with mine too with 6-4-1.

sydney1963 said:
Takes a couple of days with mine too with 6-4-1.

Sydney,

It's possible that 6-4-1 are ideal settings for your combination of stove and pellet brand, but I just love to squeeze every last minute out of my bag of pellets. I actually had my stove running at 2-8-1 for a couple of days, but one night the room blower turned off because the temp reaching the sensor that turns it on got too cool.

I'm just trying to be able to run it a little longer to keep the temp around 72 degrees instead of it reaching 75 within 4 hours and having to turn it off and then a few hours later turn it back on. I thought if the pellet feed rate was slowed down a bit it may help. I think once it gets colder this will be a non issue. Thanks

Wow the 3 buttons might really make a difference...i got my stove last year and over the summer my grandson was pushing them to watch the lights....I contacted englander and they told me in an email that they should be set at 4 9 1...I guess its all in who you contact there....yime to do some experimenting...

I understand that the first button adjusts fuel feed...and the second button is air feed... which will make a better burn a higher air feed or lower ...and is this only when running on a low setting or is it in effect all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.