Scuff on new stove - what is the best way to paint it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
We had to lay the stove down to put the pedestal on and while lifting it back up the bottom of the pedestal rubbed the plywood it is on and some of the paint rubbed off. I bought a can of flat black Rutland spray on stove paint today and was planning to spray it tonight but thought I would ask the pros if this is the best thing to do. Probably a little touch up paint with a tiny brush would be best but this spray paint was all I could find. Any advice?

BTW: Stove will be connected tomorrow and will be moved from plywood.

706cbebb.gif

57a91976.gif

No experience painting stoves, but I'm guessing that just a light "dusting" of the spray can paint should do the job . . . just being sure to watch the over spray . . . I also think the area where this is shouldn't pose too much of a problem since the heat level there shouldn't be excessively high . . . but again . . . I'm no expert on painting stoves.

It looks like a rather small scratch. How about a black magic marker? Might only be temporary though.

Jaugust124 said:
It looks like a rather small scratch. How about a black magic marker? Might only be temporary though.

I thought it was a scratch at first too but when I looked at it closer I could see that the paint is just rubbed off. The picture actually makes it look worse.

I think I will tape it off good with some masking paper and spray the effected areas really lighty until they are covered.

You can use what you've got, it'll work just fine. I'd leave it on the plywood and mask the pedestal from the base up a ways. I'd probably take a piece of fine sandpaper or steel wool to the scratches (gently!) just to smooth the edges of any loose/lifted paint, and then just lightly spray the scratched places...wait a while, and then hit them again, and feather it out a bit. If you're still not happy with how the scratches faded away, hit it again. I'm not talking about using much paint here, just a misting at a time until you like how it looks. Rick

ETA: Of course, before you do any of that, just take a damp cloth to it and see whether or not it just cleans up.

fossil has the technique , i actually prefer a scotch pad to using steel wool as its not as abrasive. then you will want to either lay downa dropcloth or plastic or if possible ease the stove off the ground and slide the dropcloth under the edge to keep the paint off the floor, spray light coats from different directions to blend the paint into the origional finish. should clean right up for ya

DO be careful with ScotchBrite pads...they come in different "strengths". Make sure you know which you've got. Some of them are nice and gentle, as Mike says...but others will quite literally scratch glass. Ask me how I know. :red: Rick

fossil said:
DO be careful with ScotchBrite pads...they come in different "strengths". Make sure you know which you've got. Some of them are nice and gentle, as Mike says...but others will quite literally scratch glass. Ask me how I know. :red: Rick

good point , the ones i use in my shop are the el cheapo kind you use for dishes not the "industrial hide scraping" kind

BLIMP said:
spray the paint into a cup, get artists brush , & touch up the scars.

Good idea, I may need to try this.

albertj03 said:
BLIMP said:
spray the paint into a cup, get artists brush , & touch up the scars.

Good idea, I may need to try this.
try it once/coat, eh?

Well, I couldn't find a little paint brush so I decided to tape and spray. I just put one long strip of painters tape right above where the scuffs were going all the way across. I hit the scuffs with a quick spray once each and let it dry. It looked perfect and I was very happy with it.

Then... I took the tape off (very slowly) and to my horror the tape took some of the paint with it (not the fresh paint but the paint that was already there) :grrr: So I had to spray that, I used a piece of cardboard to block overspray this time. The problem is the push button for the spray can is really hard to push down so there is very little flow control. It was fine for those first few scuffs because they were small quick hits but the second time i had a little more area to cover and the paint pooled a little. Hopefully it will look better in the morning when it's totally dry. If it still looks bad I'm not sure what I'll do, it will probably need to be sanded really lightly and painted again but not with this Rutland can.

Leave it to me to screw up a brand new wood stove. I keep telling myself that it's just the pedestal but still I don't want it to look like a piece of junk. :long:

If painters tape is pulling off the paint, I think I'd be giving PE or your dealer a call. That isn't right and I think it doesn't bode well for what is going to happen to your stove after a few years of use. Could be they had a bad paint batch or something.

I thought maybe it was because the paint hadn't curred yet but then again it's at the bottom of the pedestal so I'm not sure if the paint would really cure much there anyway.

I wouldn't think the paint on the pedestal should be depending on heat from the stove to cure. My flag went up on your first post when you said just laying the stove on its side had caused the first scuff. I just think the paint should be more durable than that. It should especially withstand some blue painter's tape. I'd be making some phone calls.

Dealer is coming over to check it out. They said they will probably repaint it for me and make it look brand new again. It's good to see that they are willing to come out without putting up a fuss about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.