Sealing Stove to stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
What are you guys using to seal your stove to the initial piece of stove pipe attached to the stove top?

Here is my issue: I want (need) the stove pipe to be completely sealed so that my stove runs efficiently. I have a small 1.2 cubic foot stove and I just found that by stopping all leaks in the stove pipe section, I get much better secondary burns. I have been using Meeco's Furnace Cement and Fireplace Mortar. My concern is that this stuff hardens like, well, mortar. My stove expands and contracts as it gets hot and then cools down. The mortar then cracks and I get leaks. Sections of mortar can be pulled off with my fingers.
I am using single layer stove pipe. I have it screwed into the top of the stove with three screws thru holes on the stove collar. I have a 'slip-fit' section of stove pipe at the top of the stove pipe near the ceiling. I installed this so that I could easier disassemble for cleaning. This piece does not seem to 'slip' as the stove expands and contracts. Technically I believe it is suppose to be screwed in place, but I left the screws out hoping it would slide a bit.
Other areas of the stove pipe I have stuffed with small amounts of rock wool to prevent any leaks. This has improve my performance.
I stuffed some rock wool in the gap, but it gets moved around with the expansion and contraction of the stove.

Is there a flexible sealer for this area?

What are you guys using to seal your stove to the initial piece of stove pipe attached to the stove top?

Here is my issue: I want (need) the stove pipe to be completely sealed so that my stove runs efficiently. I have a small 1.2 cubic foot stove and I just found that by stopping all leaks in the stove pipe section, I get much better secondary burns. I have been using Meeco's Furnace Cement and Fireplace Mortar. My concern is that this stuff hardens like, well, mortar. My stove expands and contracts as it gets hot and then cools down. The mortar then cracks and I get leaks. Sections of mortar can be pulled off with my fingers.
I am using single layer stove pipe. I have it screwed into the top of the stove with three screws thru holes on the stove collar. I have a 'slip-fit' section of stove pipe at the top of the stove pipe near the ceiling. I installed this so that I could easier disassemble for cleaning. This piece does not seem to 'slip' as the stove expands and contracts. Technically I believe it is suppose to be screwed in place, but I left the screws out hoping it would slide a bit.
Other areas of the stove pipe I have stuffed with small amounts of rock wool to prevent any leaks. This has improve my performance.
I stuffed some rock wool in the gap, but it gets moved around with the expansion and contraction of the stove.

Is there a flexible sealer for this area?
Rope gasket

Reactions: Woodcutter Tom