Seasoning time of Black Birch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know of an online chart showing seasoning times for different species?

If it's anything like yellow birch, which I think it is, then two full years is about what it takes to get it dry. Don't be fooled by the bark, which will burn great even when green. The wood underneath is a different story.

Yes, it's very heavy wood when green. It isn't terrible to dry out, but I'm talking about Spring/Summer not now. Great aroma, isn't it? Great all-purpose wood, from kindling to quarter-splits to main fuelwood. Around here we refer to it as "Cherry Birch" but Black Birch is the proper name. It's good stuff.

Here's some yellow birch on the woodlot that I get my wood from. It's one of my favorite trees, along with ash. You PA guys will probably think it's black birch, but it's actually yellow. One of our money trees up here in the Adirondacks.

Attachments

• yellowbirch.jpg
    yellowbirch.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 352
  • yelllowbirch2.jpg
    yelllowbirch2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 350
Risser09 said:
does anyone know of an online chart showing seasoning times for different species?

+1 We could really use one of those :D

Eric Johnson said:
Here's some yellow birch on the woodlot that I get my wood from. It's one of my favorite trees, along with ash. You PA guys will probably think it's black birch, but it's actually yellow. One of our money trees up here in the Adirondacks.

Thanks for the great pictures. I have never seen Yellow Birch here in PA.; that's why I brought a round of it home from Vermont when we vacationed there a few years ago! LOL...

CTwoodburner said:
I assure you, there is yellow birch in PA. Read the soil and topography part and associated species part for info on where it may be in larger stands. Black brich likes the rougher terrain for sure.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/betula/alleghaniensis .htm

Yellow birch bark will exfoliate as it gets older - black will not.

Oh, I'm sure there is some somewhere in PA.; probably up North. But none of my friends nor I have ever seen any locally, and the one guy owns a logging business. When I tried to open your link it said "page cannot be found". I wish that it was local, because I liked the way that it burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.