secondary boiler will heat EKO outside durring freeze. Problem or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
My eko is plummed into the return side of the gas boiler using closely spaced tee's. Just realized that when the rk2001 controller reads 40 deg it will turn on the circulator. This circulating water will excange some with the return water inside the house as it passes by the closely spaced tee's going back to the gas boiler. Sounds like good freeze protection but I don't know if I want to heat the 20 gallon of water the eko takes. What are your thoughts.

On my EKO (old controller) the circ does not kick on until the boiler gets to 65C. It sure is a nice idea to have freeze protection for an outdoor unit and heatring 20 gal of extra water does not sound like alot inless you are running the gas unit quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.