secondary burn questions on gasification boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WRboiler said:
Time to good gasification depends on a few things and boiler make,size. Larger boilers can take a little longer. Placement and amount of kindling is the greatest factor to fast gasification. Takes me about 10-20 minutes if I pay attention to building a kindling fire. Some boilers seem to reach gasification quicker, I have been able to reach gasification quicker with the Econoburn and smaller EKO's. I think the "tall" pathway and nozzle may make for more immediate gasification with the Econoburn.
It takes some people a lot longer, usually not starting with kindling splits small enough. The temperature of the wood is also a factor. One other factor would be how warm is the water in the boiler when you start, if you have thermal storage or not? Small factors, but not inconsequential. I'll stop before I get carried away!

I heartily and strongly agree on the two factors you mentioned there. If I can exaggerate to make a point, the worst possible case for getting gasification going would be to dump frozen, snow covered wood into a cold boiler. Obviously that is the worst case scenario but lot's of people take frozen wood from outside and try to fire their boiler after the water temp has dropped below requirements for heating their house. Then they wonder why it takes half an hour of babysitting to get the boiler in G mode. Keep or get your wood to room temp before attempting to burn and fire the gasser while the temp is still 150-160. It makes an amazing difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.