Self install and inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S.

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2007
West Bend WI
When I am done with my install the stove pipe is only going to be about 2 inches from my non-combustible heat shield which is going to cover the 5' wide back of the hearth from floor to cieling(with 1" airspace on the top and bottom, sides tight to the wall. My heat shield will be about 3" thick when done (natural stone veneer on durock). The measurement from the stovepipe to the drywall is exactly 6 1/8" and it requires 6". Do I need to take a pic of this measurement for the inspector as there will be no way to prove it once the heat shield is done? Would an inspector even beleive the pic?

If the inspector can measure the thickness of the decorative wall, and verify the 1" air gap, and measure from the stone to the stovepipe...why would it be difficult to verify the CTC of the stovepipe? Rick

(BTW, you probably don't want to refer to this rig as a "heat shield", because that carries with it the implication that you used it to reduce clearances...which you did not. Your clearances are all good, then you just put some non-combustible material between the stove & stovepipe and the combustibles. Call it something else...call it Roger, just don't call it a "heat shield".)

Good call on the Heat shield naming cause that might throw up a red flag! Y are correct, it actually is a "decorative wall" Which doesn't even have to be there. The stone I am using is natural and varies from 1.5-2 in in depth plus the backer and the mortar so you could get a ball-park figure for the ctc but not exact. I suppose he could use the finish support in the ceiling(DUH :red: didn't think of that!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.