Selling a Fisher Grandma Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Chill out man, you made your point...have a bad weekend?
This time of year is definitely stressful for sweeps yes. Tons of work and people are always pissed because you can't get there a couple days after they call.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I think that job of yours would be right up there on being one of the hardest and dangerous types of jobs to have and it is so much needed by people who just take it for granted...I can get the frustration...But you really are a expert in your field and a treasure to have on any forum..clancey

Reactions: bholler
I think that job of yours would be right up there on being one of the hardest and dangerous types of jobs to have and it is so much needed by people who just take it for granted...I can get the frustration...But you really are a expert in your field and a treasure to have on any forum..clancey
Thankyou I really appreciate that. And I apologize for giving you such a hard time in this thread it was not called for

Reactions: brenndatomu
Yes prices will vary greatly by area. Around here I doubt you would get $700 for one regardless of condition. There are just so many of them here the prices are low. And a good ul tag will make quite a difference in price because insurance companies can't really give you a hard time if it is listed.
Very few down here, even fewer in decent, let alone good shape. :( You might find 1 a year, MAYBE, in good shape. The rest need total restoration or are rusted out and good for nothing but parts/scrap.

I got super lucky with mine, I searched on and off for about 2 years. 1 owner, sat in the same spot since 1979. They had the original screen and an extra brand new damper knob along with some paperwork from when they bought it new.

Reactions: bholler
Do all simple questions on this forum turn into attacks? The same exact thing happened on my thread earlier this year about my Grandpa Bear restoration thread, which replaced this stove in my workshop.

To answer some questions......this stove, with the steel baffle plate inside, has heated my 1600 square foot shop, with 12 foot ceilings, and absolutely crappy "pole barn" windows, for about 15 years......or so. I don't remember the exact date of installation. It's a fantastic stove, and puts out a LOT of heat, but I needed more for those super duper cold days, which is why I went to the bigger stove.

I wouldn't sell it for $500. It's too good of a stove. In that regard, if I was the only one who thought it was worth a little more, than sobeit. I remember seeing a couple of these restored sell for $1200 or so a few years back. I'm asking $750 for it, and listed it on Marketplace yesterday. I didn't respond here because a couple of you were too busy attacking each other. Just so you know, that sickens me. If you can't treat people nicely, then just move on from my thread.

I'll check the stove to see if it has the UL listing tag with it. I know it has the rear stove deflector, not really shown well in the pictures, that hangs off the back.

I appreciate the advice to clean it up and paint it. I wish I had the time. I'm self employed, and because of what's happening in this country with the entire nation of laborers being paid unemployment to stay home for free and collect our hard earned, and paid, tax dollars, I'm working completely alone right now, 2 men down, and I'm turning down good paying jobs from great customers because I have no damned help. Soooooooo, if nobody wants this stove it'll sit right where it is until I get a chance to install it in a cabin or something.

I can agree with one of comments here completely. These Fisher stoves are outstanding stoves, and throw a TON of heat out into any room, and are made pretty decently efficient by the steel baffle plate installed, which creates a reburn effect of the exhaust before it goes up the chimney. I love the old school nature of it, and I've sat in front of this stove for hours and hours over the past 15 years, just enjoying watching the dance of the flames inside when it was 20 below zero outside.

Thanks for the help to the 1 or 2 of you that actually answered my question. If one of you is interested in this stove for around or close to my asking price of $750, you can call me directly at (815)482-1410. I'm in northern Illinois, not far from the Wisconsin border, in Crystal Lake. Cheers.

Reactions: Zombie
Do all simple questions on this forum turn into attacks? The same exact thing happened on my thread earlier this year about my Grandpa Bear restoration thread, which replaced this stove in my workshop.

To answer some questions......this stove, with the steel baffle plate inside, has heated my 1600 square foot shop, with 12 foot ceilings, and absolutely crappy "pole barn" windows, for about 15 years......or so. I don't remember the exact date of installation. It's a fantastic stove, and puts out a LOT of heat, but I needed more for those super duper cold days, which is why I went to the bigger stove.

I wouldn't sell it for $500. It's too good of a stove. In that regard, if I was the only one who thought it was worth a little more, than sobeit. I remember seeing a couple of these restored sell for $1200 or so a few years back. I'm asking $750 for it, and listed it on Marketplace yesterday. I didn't respond here because a couple of you were too busy attacking each other. Just so you know, that sickens me. If you can't treat people nicely, then just move on from my thread.

I'll check the stove to see if it has the UL listing tag with it. I know it has the rear stove deflector, not really shown well in the pictures, that hangs off the back.

I appreciate the advice to clean it up and paint it. I wish I had the time. I'm self employed, and because of what's happening in this country with the entire nation of laborers being paid unemployment to stay home for free and collect our hard earned, and paid, tax dollars, I'm working completely alone right now, 2 men down, and I'm turning down good paying jobs from great customers because I have no damned help. Soooooooo, if nobody wants this stove it'll sit right where it is until I get a chance to install it in a cabin or something.

I can agree with one of comments here completely. These Fisher stoves are outstanding stoves, and throw a TON of heat out into any room, and are made pretty decently efficient by the steel baffle plate installed, which creates a reburn effect of the exhaust before it goes up the chimney. I love the old school nature of it, and I've sat in front of this stove for hours and hours over the past 15 years, just enjoying watching the dance of the flames inside when it was 20 below zero outside.

Thanks for the help to the 1 or 2 of you that actually answered my question. If one of you is interested in this stove for around or close to my asking price of $750, you can call me directly at (815)482-1410. I'm in northern Illinois, not far from the Wisconsin border, in Crystal Lake. Cheers.
I am sorry but your last post there was absolutely no attack made. I simply informed you about a code violation and potential insurance complications. I didn't tell you not to do what you were doing just gave you information about the potential risks.

If you can get $750 for it that great. But as someone in the industry I can tell you that price is high. If it was repainted new brick etc in some markets I think it would be fair.

I am sorry if I offened you by providing accurate information based upon my experience. That was not my intention.

And for the record I saw a grandpa listed for almost $5000. People ask all kinds of crazy prices. I am telling you what I see them being sold for all the time.

And according to you you got that stove in February of 2014.

And for the record short of a wood furnace I think a fisher or one of the copies is about the best for what you are using it for. Newer stoves are far more efficient but they don't crank out the large amount of BTUs you need for your space.

Last edited:
I forgot to finalize and update this thread. The stove sold in a week, and I had 2 different buyers wanting it. First guy that arrived bought it, and I loaded him up with my forklift, so it was easy for him. I guess the "cheaper" assessment given here by one was dead wrong, so don't sell your glass door Grandma Bear stoves cheap because someone who thinks he's an expert. I've had my last say, and I'm logging off for good. I'll leave the rest to the know-it-all in the room. Happy holidays everyone else.

Reactions: Zombie
I forgot to finalize and update this thread. The stove sold in a week, and I had 2 different buyers wanting it. First guy that arrived bought it, and I loaded him up with my forklift, so it was easy for him. I guess the "cheaper" assessment given here by one was dead wrong, so don't sell your glass door Grandma Bear stoves cheap because someone who thinks he's an expert. I've had my last say, and I'm logging off for good. I'll leave the rest to the know-it-all in the room. Happy holidays everyone else.
That's great I am glad you got what you were asking.

I am happy that you got the price and that you helped the person load it---beautiful stoves they are with such history...Hope you come back to the forum sometime or even better stick around a little while longer there are some very compatible person on here who could very well give you much insight on other topics--all kinds....I love that you love those old stoves because I think they are just wonderful and those people (fishers) were smart too in my opinion...Glad you got your price and the people will be happy with their stove as well..clancey

So you know my evaluation of how fishers work compared to modern stoves is unfair how???
My wife and I were the first Fisher Dealers in very upstate NY in 1976. I sold and installed many of them. If taken care of they can last a lifetime. We now live in Oregon and they do not meet the EPA standards for particulate emissions so they are not legal for use. When they first came out they were a huge step in the process of heating with wood as they were quite tight and burned directly on the firebrick. If you can take the time to sand it down, repaint with Thurmalox Stove Paint and replace the firebrick you will definitely increase the selling value. I have never seen a Grandma Bear with glass doors so I think that will increase the bottom line. I have seen them advertised for over 1k and as little as a couple hundred. Check them out on Pinterest.

Depends on what part of the country you are in as to what you can ask for it. I'd suggest looking around on Craigslist and FB marketplace and see what others are asking for what condition. IF you find a Grandma like yours around my area in fair-ish condition bholler is about right, $500 or so. Really nice examples can go for as much as $700 around here.

I have a '79 Grandpa Bear in my basement and love it. I grew up with a UL listed Grandma and loved it. These stoves won't peak everyones intrest, but there is still a market for them.
I'm trying to sell this one.... its a grandma, not sure what year.... how much do you think i should ask?

thumbnail.jpg