Selling a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So I keep reading tales of people trying out stoves like candy around here :)

how exactly are people unloading their old stoves? Craigslist? eBay?

...I'd say both Craiglist(CL) AND Ebay, ...I just purchased my used stove off CL

I bought and subsequently sold two stoves on Craigslist in the past year or two. (A Hearthstone II and an Englander 24-JC) Both were purchases that didn't work out for me. I made money on both though. If they were not so difficult to move I would do it more, because a lot of times the people selling just don't know that much about them. If you find out and list what you know (and have good pics) people are appreciative of that. Sell to the first person who shows up with cash and the ability to get it the heck out. A trailer is a good sign. I took $ off in both cases for the "real" buyer who did that. A bird in the hand and all that, don't you know.

Yes, craigslist and e-bay but I wouldn't neglect the "Articles for Sale" right here at Hearth.com. About 2 years ago, I place an ad in that section saying I was looking for a used Jotul #3 and six months later a fellow responded with exactly what I was looking for, not too far away, and at a reasonable price.
ChipTam

I couldn't give our Shenandoah R77 away...even after posting it in that forum we have here for horsetrading. I suppose CL is what most folks are doing now. The wife finally sold the stove for 100 more than we paid for it by word of mouth.

craigslist. tickbitty has it right. be sure to include "cash only" in your ad. If you have the ability to meet offsite that is way better. If you can deliver it that will help sell it. I wouldn't install one because you have no idea what they will burn and they will try to hold you liable after the try to light green wood with gasoline. I never give my ph# and I always put "cash only" and "as is" in my ads.

Craigslist and Ebay. There is always someone wanting to buy an old stove. We had a guy pick up our old Kodiak this past Saturday which we sold on Ebay. He went into great detail about how the new stoves cannot compare to the old ones. Poorly made, junky, ugly, no heat, can't burn wood properly etc. I just nodded and helped him load it.

I sold my jotul f100 on craigslist this past fall. Its free, most folks are connected to the web, and you can target your area.

It was a bit tough competing with the biomass appliance energy credits this year, but I held out and finally found someone who wanted to save a few bucks more than the credit would give them.

Be sure to include a couple pictures.

All three of my stoves were purchased on CraigsList. Total price for all three: $1,700.

BrowningBAR said:
All three of my stoves were purchased on CraigsList. Total price for all three: $1,700.

" Wow, that's a great deal for the three stoves you have. I too, bought my first stove from a CL listing for $80. With the help of some free wood, it has heated my house this season. The savings are incredible: now when I look out the window I don't see $$$$ flying out. And the oil man is not here to collect it. Thanks to the web our world is a lot more accessible, I guess. "

I sold my old stove on CL. Priced right it sold fairly quickly, hearth pad too. I was glad to have the space back and get the cash in hand, buyer was happy to get the stove. Worked well for everyone. Sure beats the old "stick a sign up at the grocery store" or pawing through the newspaper trying to read cryptic ads that are sold by the character.

Sold our 30NC in about 3 days on CL; as mentioned dropped the $ for the first buyer that showed and had a truck... Hope it's doing well!

The Quad 1200i and both our Jotuls were sold on Craigslist. They went pretty quickly and for the asking price. However, I didn't sell until October when the market was strong.

Hey guys what is a Fisher Grampa Bear worth in great shape?

Attachments

• IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 243
$150 -300 depending on the season?

snoguzzler said:
Hey guys what is a Fisher Grampa Bear worth in great shape?
Not as much to folks here as it probably is on the open market. If this was October and you took some nice shots of it looking all black and silver and solid and whatnot, you could probably get $500 or so I bet pretty easy. People seem to have a familiarity with the old fishers and know they are good solid stoves etc. I am amazed at the awful looking old smoke dragons (NOT talking about your stove!) that people seem to be selling for about $300-$700 on CL but then again they don't move very fast so they may not be actually "selling" for that much. However I do know people who have bought and sold fishers like yours in the market of $500 or so.

As far as selling fishers, it depends on your area. Here in Pa, NY, and NJ, they are very common and have a VERY good name associated with them still.

As such, I sold mine for 550 on Ebay no problem. I'd start it at 299 on ebay and let the auction go from there.

I bought my 1 year old Englander 30 on CL for 500. Nice to upgrade in technology and put 50 bux in your pocket at the same time :)

That old fisher was a good stove though.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.