Semican's????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D-mac02

Dec 21, 2013
New York
Anyone ever heard of these pellets before. Went over to agway and they had semicans and dry creeks. Figured I would pick up 2 bags of each to try. Tried to look them up online and can't find any info really on them. The seem to be like a medium brown, kinda long in size. I scooped out my hopper of fsu so I could try them. Agway is charging 299 a ton for these no names. To me it's graze but I guess I'll see how they burn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 274
Same with me...I tried to look them up a few weeks ago with no success. My local Agway has them too but didn't bite yet. Might buy a few bags just to try out as well. Let me know how you like them.

Eh... Heats is nothing great ash is pretty high and fines in the bag are very high. Deff not worth 299 a ton.

Thanks D-Mac. I was surprised as the lack of any feedback anywhere on the net with these. I was going to bite,seeing that in general I haven't had problems with the Canadian pellets. Even the ones with a little more ash than normal (Cubex,for one) still would put out some good heat, and I will trade ash for heat around this time of year! Based on your feedback, though, price, and the lack of reviews at this point, I will pass on them for now. I'm looking for some that will get me through the shoulder season, but it sounds like I'd be better off going to TSC near me and picking up their own brand or going and getting some Heat'rs from Home Depot for a cheaper price/bag. They have performed pretty well in the recent past for me. Thanks again for the feedback!

No prob. The pic of the fines says it all. Seems like they don't give out as much heat as heatrs. I saw online that they are supposedly 90% softwood and 10% hard but I can't really tell. Each stove burns different to. I only bought 2 bags and for that price I wouldn't buy them. Maybe if they were like 220 a ton it would be an ok shoulder but not at 299.

Status
Not open for further replies.