Serenity pellet stove shuts down on its own a few times a day... HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fleaman58

Dec 18, 2020
Williamstown, Ontario
Hi..thank you for allowing me to join your forum..im new to the pellet stove world and i recently perchased a brand new stove.. about once or twice a day the stove will just shut down.. i can relight it and it may go for 3 hours or more then stops.. when it does stop the blower runs till it cools down then i can relight it... im thinking the air flow adjustment but dont know where the air flow adjustment is locate... when the fire is burning the burning pellets seem to be bouncing around wich makes me think the air flow... any help would be much appreciatted ... P.S the first 2-3 weeks it ran fine and never shut dowb but now were getting temps of minus -20 C ..thank you for any and all suggestions... Bert

fleaman58
Welcome to the forum
A little more information would be helpful.
Chimney configuration, OAK installed?
Type of pellets? thermostat installed
Stove settings?

Reactions: Ssyko
Hi Johneh thanks for the reply.. im using my woodstove chimney..6 inch insulated... from pellet stove pipe goes straight up to the chimney and its a straight run all the way... not sure what you mean by OAK installed..? i installed it myself... and using curran pellets hardwood pellets from home hardware...and no thermostat and running stove on manual setting.. and i noticed glass door gets black after a days use and i clean the stove by ash vacumm atleast every second day..

Welcome fleaman! What is the make and model of your stove?

yes its been vacuumed well and its a castle serenity good to heat 1500 sq foot .. ive read the manual and online and seems to lead to adjusting the air flow but doesnt show how or where the adjustment is...

Check you owner’s manual starting on pg 24 It gives you all the information your needing ;)

Reactions: johneh
OAK = outside air kit. Provides outside air for combustion, instead of drawing air from the house.

To adjust the airflow from the front of the stove you need to remove the left side panel and there will be a shiny slide plate towards the front down low, pushing that slide plate in decreases airflow, pulling it out increases airflow. In the photo you can see the slide plate below the room fan with the black rod I attached to make it adjustable without removing the side panel. IMG_20150111_134058.jpg