Serenity Was Not so Serene This AM ! What Did I Do ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiskid

Sep 26, 2017
PA
I have been running the stove non stop the last few days. I was shutting down during the afternoon heat of the sun room every day and cleaning. I've been getting by with settings 1,2 and 3 that keep the house 74-75. I have exhaust voltages at 90 and 4&5 at 95 volts. I was up at 5:30 to add some scoops and it was 9 degrees out. The house was at 70 so I bumped the stove to #4. It was cranking hot in front of the stove so I went back to bed. I couldn't sleep and so I hear the furnace fire up(set at 70). I look out the porch window and see it dark with the red light on. It was so cold it didn't take long for the stove to cool. I dumped the pot and fired up on setting 3. The stove fired and as I checked the voltage the stove went eerily quiet with this slow motion circular flame around the burn box. My heart is now beating strong in my chest. I'm not sure if I bumped the voltage up or down but it instantly was back to a good burn. Not sure what that was but it got my heart rate up quicker than my recumbent bike. This happened once before and I was told what it was but I'm an old guy and forget. Anyway was my voltage to low on #4 ? I guess I figure more voltage would put MORE heat out the blower and shut it off. I have it so the pellets just dance. I had the air gate at 1/3 but had too many issues with the weather changes and was constantly adjusting the voltage up. What do I need to learn. Thanks GBY

Are you adjusting the room blower... or the exhaust blower?

Hi Guys... I am having the same issues. I am a novice... Can you help me with adjusting different settings... I wish Castle would have a Serenity 101 course on what to adjust and when... Any help you can give me would be great. I feel like I am not running it in the most efficient way to maximize my heat in this frigid weather.

Ron can you fill us in with a bit more info. like how does the flame look, where is the air damper set, what are your blower settings at. The more info you can give the better we may be able to help. Basically what you want to achieve is a nice lively flame with out pellets being blown out of the burn pot. The slower you can run the exhaust fan and maintain a nice flame the more heat remains in the stove to be blown into the room, this is adjusted with the voltage settings of the exhaust fan and the intake air damper. The convection fan or room fan does not affect the burn it just blows the air across the heat exchanger and into the room, those voltages can also be adjusted to blow more or less heat out of the stove. pellets can also vary greatly as far as heat output so it's best to try as many brands as you can and see which brand you get the best heat from.