Setting Around the Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
My living room is rectangular in shape and it looks like we've settled (for now) setting my Woodstock Keystone midway along the long exterior side of the room, vertical flue/chimney going straight-up from the stove, through the roof and out.

The idea here is - rather than put the stove in a corner, it would be nice to have three sides for to everyone to enjoy vs. the front face of the stove when installed in a corner.

To give more front to back distance, I am considering not using the heat shield and letting the stove set out into the room a bit more to give room for heat to get off the stove into the room, but also to make it easier to have a chair or rocker to both sides of the stove for setting (and for decoration).

Anyone have a stove set-up like the above? Have you melted any furniture yet setting close to the stove?

Thanks!
Bill

Sounds like a good plan, maximize the radiant heat. Besides the stove looks good from all sides.

If you've got the room to spare, put that stove out there! Can only become more efficient.

...Wait a second, now I am having second thoughts about that statement. Question for the thermodynamicists out there: When the radiant heat from your stove hits a heat shield does it then turn into convective heat? That is, the mere presence of a heat shield can't reduce stove efficiency can it? A BTU, once produced, is going to go somewhere, whether it is to heat up your face via radiant heat or heat up a heat shield, which then gives off the heat convectively (warming the air around it)

For a side loader I would prefer not to have a corner install unless access is very good.

sksmass said:
...Wait a second, now I am having second thoughts about that statement. Question for the thermodynamicists out there: When the radiant heat from your stove hits a heat shield does it then turn into convective heat?

Some of it will. It will all heat up the heat shield. The heat shield will radiate. The air between the heat shield and the stove, as well as the air on the outside of the shield, will heat and rise, thus convective heat transfer.

sksmass said:
...That is, the mere presence of a heat shield can't reduce stove efficiency can it?

No, it can't reduce stove efficiency, but it could affect the overall system efficiency depending on the configuration and just what you're hoping to achieve with the system. For example: If a lot of radiant heat off the back of the firebox is something you're after, then a rear heat shield's not for you, because it will reduce the system's efficiency at providing the desired performance.

sksmass said:
... A BTU, once produced, is going to go somewhere, whether it is to heat up your face via radiant heat or heat up a heat shield, which then gives off the heat convectively (warming the air around it)

The heat shield will also radiate...and if anything touches it, it will conduct. :ahhh: Rick

When the 30-NC is hovering between five and six hundred the air coming up from between either side heat shield or the rear heat shield and the stove body will blow out a Bic lighter. Dem BTUs are making the trip out into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.