Setting for minimum ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Buddyskid

Nov 17, 2022
Rhinebeck, NY
Page 4 item 6 of the Harmon Accentra owner's manual says the ash bin holds ashes from 1 ton of premium fuel and so only needs to be emptied a few times a year. I have to empty my bin every 5 to 7 days no matter what brand of fuel I use. What settings do I need to achieve fewer bin emptying's while limiting how much fuel I use?

What brands have you tried? "No matter what brand" is a broad statement, there are more lower quality pellets on the market than there are quality pellets on the market. Is the stove a self install or professional install? Flue size length & bends details? When was the last flue cleaning? Last stove cleaning? We won't discuss draft readings with a manometer you would likely have had to have it professionally installed to have that information anyway; does it have lots of fliers in the firebox when running?

I have used pellets from Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Lowes, my local Ace Hardware and this year I am using Force from Lignetics. I had my stove professionally cleaned and serviced in October and that was the second time in the last 12 months. I clean the burn pot every 10 days and do that plus the heat exchanger after two months. Thank you for trying to help me with the frequent ash tray disposal.

Reactions: VintageGal
You can stir the ashes to make them settle. Light fluffy ashes will "fill" the bin faster than a heavier ash.

I'm wondering if you have an insert or a free standing stove. Looks like the insert has a much smaller ash bin - more like what my old Hastings had. I had to empty that sucker every 7-10 days regardless of the pellets I used. It looks like the free-standing stove has an ash bin about the size of my P43. It should be able to go around 3 weeks on any old average pellet.

Page 4 item 6 of the Harmon Accentra owner's manual says the ash bin holds ashes from 1 ton of premium fuel and so only needs to be emptied a few times a year. I have to empty my bin every 5 to 7 days no matter what brand of fuel I use. What settings do I need to achieve fewer bin emptying's while limiting how much fuel I use?
I have a P61A . rather large ashbin.. prob harmans biggest..
I burn good softies but even back when i burned box store stuff i would go month or so without it getting full.
I imagine mine is bigger... inserts are the smallest...box store hardwoods are usually the most ash producers...
below is 3 weeks or so of ash..

20200126_124740.jpg

Reactions: Northwoodneil
My Accentra is a Harmon insert but still the manual that came with it says one emptying per ton. Compared to other bins shown in this forum, mine is smaller. The pellets I am currently trying are called Force by Lauzon not Lignetics as I posted earlier. The 22 lb. bag which I like, says it's 100% Canadian supreme grade hardwood. If any of you are getting just one bin of ash per ton with an Accentra insert, please tell me what brand of pellet you are using. Thanks.

My HARMAN 61-2 can go a month with top softies but 2-3 weeks with decent hardwoods and as said above, one of the bigger ash bins…love my HARMAN

My Accentra is a Harmon insert but still the manual that came with it says one emptying per ton. Compared to other bins shown in this forum, mine is smaller. The pellets I am currently trying are called Force by Lauzon not Lignetics as I posted earlier. The 22 lb. bag which I like, says it's 100% Canadian supreme grade hardwood. If any of you are getting just one bin of ash per ton with an Accentra insert, please tell me what brand of pellet you are using. Thanks.

I think sometimes the manuals are overoptomistic and I've never gotten thru a ton even with my bigger ashpans. Lauzon's tend to be good HWs in my experience.

Reactions: johneh